Kitten is Leaking Urine

I have a 4 month old cat that is constantly leaking urine. We rescued him about 2 months ago and he was perfectly fine. We had him fixed about a month ago and 3 days after that he started leaking urine. We went through antibiotics and it didn't help. We also tried a pill that was supposed to help the kitten to control the flow of urine and that didn't help.

We finally did x-rays and the vet said he has ectopic uterer, basically he's wired wrong. I don't believe that because before we got him fixed he was completely dry and used the kitty box. Now he's constantly dripping and his whole behind is wet. Does anyone have any ideas? I've been calling for second opinions but because of the heavy snow no one can get back to me soon.

By Tracy from Shepherdsville, KY

Poor little cat. My best guess would be the Vet screwed something up since he was ok before. By all means go to a different vet and have another x-ray done. In the meantime, try and be patient and if you have a separate room you can put him in so he doesn't mess all the house, that would be good. Also you could get a large farret cage for him and put a small litter box and food & water in it for him. God Bless and good luck. I am snowed in here in Ohio too.

When I had my male dog fixed as a puppy (He is 9 now) he started doing the same, and having sudden accidents. I found out that the surgery can traumatize the muscles they use to control their bladder, and sometimes weaken them, until they are old enough to relearn to control it. What I would do is as Packlestax suggested and get a second opinion... and keep him in a cage (It's NOT cruel) for a few days, with a box.

We had a lady vet who explained what happens to a male kitten when they are neutered too early in life. She told us that most vets will disagree with her because they are in too big a hurry to get the money for neutering. She said that so many kittens never make it to their 8 months birthday, so the vets encourage neutering early just for the money.

Male kitties have very delicate urinary tracts, and when they're neutered prior to that urinary tract being totally developed, then they often end up with a problem either right away or even later in their lives.

She advised us to never have a male neutered until they are at least 8 months old. Sadly, by this time, they are already able to impregnate a female, so too many people don't want to take the chance. Females have different urinary tracts, and they develop much faster, so the danger of harming them isn't nearly as severe providing their surgery is done carefully and there is no infection or problem while they are healing.

With our Sir Catty-Kit who will be 5 years old on the 14th of this month, we waited until he was 11 months old. We had no other cats at the time, and he is an indoor cat...never had his feet on the ground. I've explained this to so many people now, and we all agree that it makes too much sense to be anything but good honest information from a

vet who has the integrity to do what's best for an animal rather than what fits in her purse. God Bless her.

I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to this cat. He takes such good care of us, and we love him like he was a child almost. Now, I'll probably get plastered from more vets that I can count, but I'm totally convinced that what our vet told us is the truth. If our male children's urinary tracts take longer to develop properly, then since

cats are so much like humans in anatomy, then the same can certainly be true of our male kittens.

Mothers know how much more difficult little boys are to potty train than little girls, and that's why. The little fellas cannot help it, since their urinary tracts are not as fast to develop as little girls' are. Hope this helps some other people out there. Julia in Boca Raton, FL

I agree with going to a different vet. The muscles being traumatized or weakened temporarily is possible but I would still have another vet look at him. In the mean time, instead of closing him off in a room or in a cage, isolating him ! Please consider a kitty diaper. They are used a lot with disabled kittens/cats. You can either make your own Luv's diapers size 2 and cut a hole for the tail, or Google "kitten diapers" for sources, including youtube videos from vets on diapering. Also may want to consider going to Purina cat food website or veterinary websites for free consults, student veternarians, etc. Please try to avoid isolating him or keeping him in a cage.

Thank you all for the advice. It was really helpfull. we have taken him to another vet and this vet said that his bladder is abnormally shaped and it could be ectopic ureter. They did an advanced die testing and the tests are still inconclusive. This vet says all that's left to do is either exploratory surgery to see whats wrong or surgery to repair the ureter. I really want to do whatever I can to make him better so when we go into the vet we'll be setting up for one of the ureter surgery. It's going to cost us about 1500 dollars but we have to try.

Pets CatsFebruary 10, 2010
Refrigerator's Ice Maker
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Leaking Water
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎄