What frozen turkey do you like? - Categories:

Grocery ShoppingShopping

What frozen turkey do you like?

I usually buy a frozen turkey for the holidays, both thanksgiving and christmas. I usually buy an off brand. Sometimes they are good, and sometimes not so good. What brand of frozen turkeys do you recommend? I think butterball are overrated.

Thanks,
P.J. from Delaware

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I have cooked Holiday turkey dinners for close to 50 years and have tried every brand of turkey available in my area. Cheap turkey tastes like cheap turkey! I either buy a butterball or get a local home grown one if I can.

What's the difference in cheap turkeys and expensive turkeys? Now, maybe the way they are processed makes a difference or how long it had been stored, but a turkey is a turkey! I use the store brands and it is as good as the butterballs which I also agree are overrated.

I also think Butterball is overrated... I usually buy whatever is the cheapest... I think the flavor is in how it's prepared. I rub the washed and paper towel-dried bird with olive oil inside and out, rub in seasonings inside and out... then I like to put onion, celery, carrot, etc... in the cavity along with a stick of butter. Then roast according to size of bird. I like to cook mine longer on a lower temp basting every hour or so. Hope this helps.

I agree that a turkey is a turkey. Its all in how you cook it. My husband has been "butterflying" our turkeys (and we use the store brand ones!) Everyone comments on how ours is the best they've had (even his PICKY mother says its great and she is the "name brand only" queen)

I have never gone wrong with a Honeysuckle!

Jennio-O oven ready turkey is great! I got one free through a survey group. I have bought two in two months. It comes with gravy and a pop up timer. We don't usually care for turkey but this was delicious!

We have been liking the Jennie-O turkey breast and try to get one when they are on special. I see no reason to buy the entire bird when none of us likes the dark meat. Also we are a family of 4 so the turkey breast is plenty for us. I started fixing a turkey breast in the crock pot and it really comes out tender and juicy and is so easy too!

i too have been cooking turkey for years and i have only bought one butterball turkey and thought it was grossly overrated!

most years when the kids were home i got the cheapest bird in the market. a stick of butter and seasoning makes the cheapest bird taste great. i use real butter and an onion and fresh sage chopped together and put little slits in the skin and stuff the onion/sage/butter in the slits and put the rest in the cavity and since those baking bags came out i have used them as they keep the bird moist. good luck

I have a 100 year old (or older) aluminium roasting pan (has a top) that belonged to my grandmother. I can make any brand of turkey, even off brands, taste good in it. Fabulous in fact, even though some are as huge as 25 pounds. So, I think that what it is cooked in is more important than the brand of turkey. Before I got my hands on it, I cooked my share of tough turkeys.

I started using a fresh turkey instead of frozen, I get it at my butcher's. I will NEVER cook a frozen turkey again, EVER. Fresh is so much better!

Previous suggestions are "right on the money" in more than one way. I found out long ago if you can find turkeys from Rockingham County, VA, you will get the tops. They even have useable meat on the backs!

We, in the past, have always bought frozen turkeys for the holidays, until about 3 years ago. We bought a store brand frozen turkey for thanksgiving and thanksgiving day when we prepared it to put in the oven my Mother-inlaw discovered it was bad,so we bagged it up and took it back to the store. we requested a Butterball, it was a very good bird.

Since then we always buy a fresh turkey at Publix. They are always great.We buy them the day before the holiday. I love all the meats from Publix. Keep an eye out on your local supermarket meat department. Some stores have better meat departments than others. Get to know your butcher, My Dad was a butcher. He has people who would travel a long distance just to buy their meats from him. They trusted him and his oppinion on their meat selections. He had many well known public people who relied on him to provide this service. He loved his job and it showed.

"Post by Debbie52 (609) | (12/30/2006)

Profile | Contact

We have been liking the Jennie-O turkey breast and try to get one when they are on special. I see no reason to buy the entire bird when none of us likes the dark meat. Also we are a family of 4 so the turkey breast is plenty for us. I started fixing a turkey breast in the crock pot and it really comes out tender and juicy and is so easy too!"

That's what we do, too. Jennie-O turkey breast in the large, oval crock pot is terrific. We do it for a different reason, though: we don't like white meat, and the only way to get it as tender and juicy as dark meat is to cook it this way, LOL!

We do get Jennie-O whole turkeys at the holidays, and they have always been easy and good. Love those drumsticks!!

Oh i got one turkey breast came in red bad at WalMart and it said cook in bag. Well I was in a time

crunch so I got it. I took it out of bag left it in the

clear pouch bag and it was seasoned perfectly. It

was the neatest best turkey breast I ever cooked.

It was better than butterball breasts I usually buy then put tons of butter all over it this one had a great seasoning .

Cant remember the name.

I like Purdue turkey, but can't find them anywhere or a sale price. Jewel Foods used to advertise it, but I don't see it in their sales paper.

For all of my life (51 Years), we have always had a butterball turkey. Last year we tried a Publix turkey and we were completely blown away!! This year we tried a Publix turkey again just to see if it had been a fluke and we were completely blown away again this year! Publix turkeys are SOOOOO much more flavorful and juicy. It is really amazing. When you see kids and adults licking their plates, you know that the turkey is awesome. Three days later, I just got leftovers out of the fridge and the bottom of my plate is covered in juice! Publix turkeys are the juiciest and most flavorful birds I have EVER eaten! And they are super-cheap!!!!!

Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingDecember 27, 2006
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Cooking a Turkey in Your Oven, A turkey in the oven.
Cooking Ham and Turkey in the Same Oven
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 3:43:43 AM on 10.0.0.107 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.