Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

What frozen turkey do you like?

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I usually buy a frozen turkey for the holidays, both thanksgiving and christmas. I usually buy an off brand. Sometimes they are good, and sometimes not so good. What brand of frozen turkeys do you recommend? I think butterball are overrated.

Thanks,
P.J. from Delaware

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Lois (Guest Post) 12/29/2006 Flag

I have cooked Holiday turkey dinners for close to 50 years and have tried every brand of turkey available in my area. Cheap turkey tastes like cheap turkey! I either buy a butterball or get a local home grown one if I can.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By (Guest Post) 12/29/2006 Flag

What's the difference in cheap turkeys and expensive turkeys? Now, maybe the way they are processed makes a difference or how long it had been stored, but a turkey is a turkey! I use the store brands and it is as good as the butterballs which I also agree are overrated.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By LiLyDo (Guest Post) 12/29/2006 Flag

I also think Butterball is overrated... I usually buy whatever is the cheapest... I think the flavor is in how it's prepared. I rub the washed and paper towel-dried bird with olive oil inside and out, rub in seasonings inside and out... then I like to put onion, celery, carrot, etc... in the cavity along with a stick of butter. Then roast according to size of bird. I like to cook mine longer on a lower temp basting every hour or so. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kim McGrantham 16 160 12/29/2006 Flag

I agree that a turkey is a turkey. Its all in how you cook it. My husband has been "butterflying" our turkeys (and we use the store brand ones!) Everyone comments on how ours is the best they've had (even his PICKY mother says its great and she is the "name brand only" queen)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kathy (Guest Post) 12/29/2006 Flag

I have never gone wrong with a Honeysuckle!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Brenda 9 34 12/30/2006 Flag

Jennio-O oven ready turkey is great! I got one free through a survey group. I have bought two in two months. It comes with gravy and a pop up timer. We don't usually care for turkey but this was delicious!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Debbie Dzurilla 28 1,124 12/30/2006 Flag

We have been liking the Jennie-O turkey breast and try to get one when they are on special. I see no reason to buy the entire bird when none of us likes the dark meat. Also we are a family of 4 so the turkey breast is plenty for us. I started fixing a turkey breast in the crock pot and it really comes out tender and juicy and is so easy too!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post) 01/02/2007 Flag

i too have been cooking turkey for years and i have only bought one butterball turkey and thought it was grossly overrated!
most years when the kids were home i got the cheapest bird in the market. a stick of butter and seasoning makes the cheapest bird taste great. i use real butter and an onion and fresh sage chopped together and put little slits in the skin and stuff the onion/sage/butter in the slits and put the rest in the cavity and since those baking bags came out i have used them as they keep the bird moist. good luck

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By (Guest Post) 01/02/2007 Flag

I have a 100 year old (or older) aluminium roasting pan (has a top) that belonged to my grandmother. I can make any brand of turkey, even off brands, taste good in it. Fabulous in fact, even though some are as huge as 25 pounds. So, I think that what it is cooked in is more important than the brand of turkey. Before I got my hands on it, I cooked my share of tough turkeys.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susabelle (Guest Post) 01/02/2007 Flag

I started using a fresh turkey instead of frozen, I get it at my butcher's. I will NEVER cook a frozen turkey again, EVER. Fresh is so much better!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By CayC (Guest Post) 01/02/2007 Flag

Previous suggestions are "right on the money" in more than one way. I found out long ago if you can find turkeys from Rockingham County, VA, you will get the tops. They even have useable meat on the backs!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susie Buckhead, Ga (Guest Post) 01/02/2007 Flag

We, in the past, have always bought frozen turkeys for the holidays, until about 3 years ago. We bought a store brand frozen turkey for thanksgiving and thanksgiving day when we prepared it to put in the oven my Mother-inlaw discovered it was bad,so we bagged it up and took it back to the store. we requested a Butterball, it was a very good bird.
Since then we always buy a fresh turkey at Publix. They are always great.We buy them the day before the holiday. I love all the meats from Publix. Keep an eye out on your local supermarket meat department. Some stores have better meat departments than others. Get to know your butcher, My Dad was a butcher. He has people who would travel a long distance just to buy their meats from him. They trusted him and his oppinion on their meat selections. He had many well known public people who relied on him to provide this service. He loved his job and it showed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Wilma Wildcat 1 01/02/2007 Flag

"Post by Debbie52 (609) | (12/30/2006)
Profile | Contact
We have been liking the Jennie-O turkey breast and try to get one when they are on special. I see no reason to buy the entire bird when none of us likes the dark meat. Also we are a family of 4 so the turkey breast is plenty for us. I started fixing a turkey breast in the crock pot and it really comes out tender and juicy and is so easy too!"

That's what we do, too. Jennie-O turkey breast in the large, oval crock pot is terrific. We do it for a different reason, though: we don't like white meat, and the only way to get it as tender and juicy as dark meat is to cook it this way, LOL!

We do get Jennie-O whole turkeys at the holidays, and they have always been easy and good. Love those drumsticks!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Annie Rios Hill 14 1,777 01/09/2007 Flag

Oh i got one turkey breast came in red bad at WalMart and it said cook in bag. Well I was in a time
crunch so I got it. I took it out of bag left it in the
clear pouch bag and it was seasoned perfectly. It
was the neatest best turkey breast I ever cooked.
It was better than butterball breasts I usually buy then put tons of butter all over it this one had a great seasoning .
Cant remember the name.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lis Flodin (Guest Post) 11/14/2007 Flag

I like Purdue turkey, but can't find them anywhere or a sale price. Jewel Foods used to advertise it, but I don't see it in their sales paper.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes