Care and Feeding of Pet Ducks

I have 3 baby ducks, well they're getting pretty big. They are Peking ducks. They're starting to turn white. Right now I'm keeping them in the house. I put them out in the day as long as the weather is good. I baby them a lot.

When I bathe them, they get an odd smell not a really bad odor. Do you think it's OK to bathe them? Also I feed them scrambled eggs with tomatoes and warm oatmeal and I started baking eggshells for them. I've tried scratch feed, but they don't like it.

When they first hatched, I got some medicated scratch feed. I asked the saleslady 3 times if it was OK to feed them this food she told me yes. Well my biggest duck's neck was growing sideways, so I did some research, which I should of done at first. I found out not to give medicated food. I stopped the medicated food and now he's fine. So do you think I'm feeding them a good diet? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated?

By Melissa from Cleveland, TN

I have raised a lot of ducks and the one thing they love is water.They have a oil duct on top of their tail and after they swim they will groom themselves. It you watch they will rub their head over the tail. They don't shed water until they grow out their feathers. What you smell is wet feathers. Mix their food with water to make a wet mash. Ducks are messy eaters.

We keep chickens and ducks. l mother them. I'm afraid their favourite food is cooked pasta, mashed spud, grated carrot and fruit. I give them fruit etc from the shop with expired dates on them so they don't tend to eat my flowers or vegetables. I also give them a daily mix of layers mash and duck food. Water is very important! I have a medium size pond plus various containers all round the garden with clean water which are changed daily. They all know the sound of the back door and run to it for our morning chat before following me to the food area for breakfast. I love keeping them.

I am confused as to why you are feeding them scrambled eggs. My ducks eat fresh dandelion, over ripe plums, pears, blueberries, grain mix and other things like slugs, worms, insects.

Holding a baby duck in hands.
Raising Ducks as Pets
Pets BirdsNovember 14, 2009
duck nest
Ducks Not Sitting on Eggs
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Raising Runner Ducks
Raising Runner Ducks
Baby ducks hatching in an incubator
Incubating Duck Eggs