Upgrading Your Operating System

If you are going from Windows 98 to XP, before you buy your new computer with a new Windows Program, get a library book and start reading up on the new Windows. That way you won't be overwhelmed when the new XP Windows doesn't work the same as your old 98 Windows. A lot of times you can renew the book until someone else makes a request for it.

By Syd

Editor's Note: Another good thing to do whenever you get a new program or operating system is to sit down and read the manual. It's not fun reading but it certainly will enhance your understanding of the program's features.

Hi

Windows 98 was a great operating system and unfortunately, there was a big jump between it and what I consider two fantastic systems, WIndows XP and XP Pro.

When I went from 98 to ME I was overwhelmed and I thoroughly agree that Syd's tip of using a book would have been handy.

Even after getting used to the new operating system, I still thought 98 was better and continued to think that when Win 2000 came out as well... The 2 operating systems between 98 and XP were difficult to get used to but still were ok... but I did it in bits and pieces, taking information here and there and applying it.

At first I was ready to throw in the towel and forget about the computer altogether.

My DH, a computer technican, said that many of the techies were having just as much of a problem with them as we were so I was not to feel bad about it. He took his time, reading magazine articles (get them from the library as well) in the well known PC magazines. These will have tips from technicans who know the short cuts and are quite happy to share their expertise. Don't be afraid to ask your computer shop where you purchased your upgrade or full version of the newer system. They sold it to you and if they are worth their salt they will go the extra mile to help with any questions you have.

Any operating system will feel strange to you if you are used to a certain system. It will take time to master it, and if you take chunks of information every day, and piece these chunks together, sooner or later, you will feel much more confident.

Cheers

Bev

Actually, Windows 98 was the buggiest OS ever made. That's why anyone using it has system freeze-ups and crashes constantly. WinXP is the most stable OS yet and is based on a different platform than Win98.

If you have an older computer running Win98 and you want WinXP, you're better off buying a new computer because your processor is more than likely completely outdated and you won't have enough RAM either. Newer OS's and new software programs are always going to use more hard drive space and will be SLOW going if you have a slow processor and little RAM.

Computers BuyingJanuary 4, 2005
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
woman with computer problems
Using Windows Vista Operating System
Auto Air Conditioner
Maintaining an Auto Air Conditioner
Home Security Without an Alarm System
Home Security Without an Alarm System
🎉
🎄