Thick Hair Unmanageable

I have thick hair that I sometimes like to wear down which doesn't usually work because of it's thickness. I'd really appreciate if anyone has any ideas to thin it so it's more manageable.

By estypesty from Balt

Get a pair of thinning scissors & thin it as much as you like, good luck.

I had lots of hair my whole life and thank god now that I'm older it's thinning nicely on it's own and is more manageable. Honestly, I always had to wear my hair back at the sides and let the back hang down. You can do this with nice styles. Or I'd leave it in a pony which isn't very nice at all. I've tried everything as a younger person and nothing would relax my hair. Maybe a salon would thin it for you. They wouldn't do it for me. I had my hair thinned once with thinning shears and I looked horrible. It was awful and I would never do it again. If you thin your own hair be very very careful. Do not thin the top layer of the hair and always thin it at least 4 inches from the scalp. I went to hair school and am giving you this advice. Mayonnaise will soften the hair and relax it.

Try to look on the bright side:-D You can always have it thinned. My hair is very soft and fairly thin, so keeping a style is impossible. I always wanted thick hair.

Hi,

I have very thick hair that tends towards coarse on the top but fine and silky on the bottom and underneath.

My daughter, who also has very thick and wavy hair, nagged me for years to get mine thinned and shaped professionally. I did, and am I glad!

Benefits: It keeps me cooler, takes less time to wash, rinse; less soap and conditioner; takes 1/3 the time to dry it, feels younger.

You can keep the length (Mine is below my shoulders and is cut to naturally flip up; but had it shorter and loved it too) and still get tremendous amounts out. The hairdressers laugh at how much hair is on the floor for both my daughter and I, and how much we still have.

Would never go back to not having it one length.

With a good cut, you don't need to go back that often unless you want very short hair. I only go every other month or so. Money well spent! Hope this helps. :)

PS My hair was so thick I could wear it back in a ponytail, etc. because the weight would give me headaches. My husband loves the way my hair moves now.

PPS Check online for pictures for what you want in a style. I found my first cut on a wig site when helping someone find a wig during cancer treatments.

PPS Shaping with a scissors as well as a razor, or thinning shears is a must for a nice cut for me. It helps the hair lie nicely and extends the cut.

I like getting what was called (in the 70's) "the savage" haircut. It's a nice layered cut,especially great for summer when long thick natural curly hair like mine is a problem & a half. I like asking that they get in as many layers as possible.

Then, I get great flipped ends at first & then as it grows I get great curls! Another great thing about that particular cut is I used to like to wash it at night,drape a thick towel over my pillow & let it dry as I slept!

The next days results were always excellent! These days though,out here in the country,I do less with my hair- tieing it back to keep it out of my face. I will never have bangs again even though I don't have oily hair which could cause blemishes & breakouts on the forehead. The constant discomfort of fighting with "new growth" is not worth "the framed face look" to me.

You may want to hold up on the thinning. My hair is very thick and I usually have it put up in big clip, now I use the clip for a ponytail holder. However winter is around the corner and I am thankful for every strand of my thick hair then. It

keeps my neck warm and my head protected out in the cold.

Thinning it too much could cause breakage like split ends. Talk to a hair stylist for advice before you decide. I always cut my hair at start of summer this is first summer I did not and now my bf loves my long thick hair.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips CuttingAugust 3, 2009
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
thick red hair
Growing Thicker Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎄
🍂