Lighting and ElectricHome Improvement

Light Fixtures That Replace a Light Bulb

I am in need of a way to inexpensively change the poor lighting in my modular home's front room. Currently I have one single bulb ceiling light. What I am interested in is a screw-in type drop light that simply screws into the current bulb socket to bring the light down about 3 feet from the ceiling. I would like green or amber glass. Does anyone know of such a light? Thanks!

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

P.S.

I am aware of the "canned light" (or recessed lights) modification kits, but this isn't one of those.The ones I have seen on Amazon.com & a couple other places will not work for this.

Mine is a standard bulb socket, which I wish to lower for better quality, & possibly add a touch of class instead of using larger brighter bulbs in the same place.

Thanks

melody_yesterday

This may not be what you are thinking of as a replacement for single to multi light fixture, but have you thought of a ceiling fan with multi lights? You can get globes now that work with the ceiling fan lights in the color decor you want if it doesn't come with it. Do you have any mirrors on the walls? This helps to illuminate the lighting too.

Here's a fun tutorial that uses a light socket splitter which sounds like that is what you are looking for:

http://thediysh  handy-candy.html

I knew I had just seen that a couple of days ago and it was bugging me that I couldn't find it! I found it and that makes me happy. Ha, ha

I have seen what you are looking for in catalogs. Without one in front of me I am going to guess either "Solutions" or "Whatever Works." Good luck.

Thanks everyone.

I went to the 2 catalogs mentioned websites.

But in "Solutions", it was for the recessed lights.

I need it for a standard ordinary light socket.

Melody, it isn't that hard to re-wire that socket.... DIY online will provide directions and you can then get what you want to have.

It also isn't expensive. Just be safe and make sure that breaker is in the off position.

I'm personally afraid of electricity ( I know how little it takes!!) but I learned how to do these kind of things-- to be able to mount fans and so forth...

give it a try.

good luck