By Rick from Wales, UK
I've never had any luck with the cheap smoke detectors. First place the battery is nearly impossible to put in. I just bought a new one a few months ago and had to take it down because of the chirping. I finally got a new battery in and it still chirps. Someone at the fire department told me they get dust in them. I blew the darned thing out and it still chirps. I'm going to get one of them that is a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector together that plugs into the electrical outlet.
Sounds like a hard wired one. We had the same problem and finally took it out and replaced it with a cheap stick up one. Works great, cost effective and no more noise. You may have to do the same.
You need to clean it out with a dry wash cloth then find away to change the battery or get a new one.
Is it just a smoke detector, or does it detect carbon monoxide? Our carbon monoxide detector started beeping. We knew that it wasn't detecting carbon monoxide, because it is the kind that has a speaking voice when it needs to alert us. My husband tried replacing the battery, and it made no difference. So he got a new detector; the included paperwork said that the carbon monoxide detector has a limited life span (perhaps 7 or 8 years, but I'm not certain).
It sounds like it might be time for a new detector.
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.