Painting Glass Blocks

What kind of paint do you use to paint on glass blocks?

Steph from Indianola, IA

I have painted on the glass blocks with the ACRLYIC craft paints sold by Folk Art. NOT the glass paint.

If you etch or sand the surface, you can use any kind of paint. If not, I'd suggest glass paint. Even then, it will scratch off unless you seal it with numerous coats of clear sealer. I've found the most durable way is to etch the surface. Paint sticks better to a rough surface.

I would use "Glossies" by Liquitex, it's sold with the higher-end artists paints, not with the crafters paints at Michael's craft store. This stuff is made to paint on already glazed ceramics, glass, window, tiles & other surfaces like that. It's so strong that I painted a set of juice glasses for my son & after he ran them through his dishwasher for over a year, they still looked like brand new!

* A note: Glossies dry faster than other acrylic paints & they tend to darken a bit after they dry. Don't add to much water to them. Read the directions on the back of the bottle. Remove any mistakes with alcohol,

---> Be sure to first wash your hand to remove any lotion & naturals oils, then wipe down the area to be painted with rubbing alcohol & a soft cloth or paper towel.

Do you have to spray after painting to seal the painting you have put on the Block?

Painting Glass
Painting Glass
Crafts PaintingNovember 4, 2008
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
painted glass vase
Painting Glass Jars and Vases
Painted Glass Ornament
Painting Glass Ornaments
clear and one red glass blocks
Buying Glass Blocks for Crafting