Finding Free Sewing and Quilting Supplies

I'm looking for anything that has to do with sewing and quilting. I'm trying to start projects making blankets and bibs for Alzheimer patients. I don't have a lot of money as I'm doing this free for our local elderly. Please help me with ideas for where to find supplies. Anything will work thread, fabric, buttons, scraps, I mean anything. Even books on sewing would help as I'm always willing to learn new projects. Thank you very much for any and all help and just for reading this.

By Nicole from Roseburg, OR

Hi Nicole,

If you have a local quilters guild, they may be able to help with this. Our local quilters guild is a service organization and makes quilts for all kinds of charities. It's fun and you can sew with other people. All or almost all of the material is donated.

Hancock fabric is involved in a lot of charities. Try your local store.

Another thing you can do is contact your local churches. The can get supplies from their members. I used to take my quilt pieces to a cancer research hospital where the patients used them.

Freecycle can sometimes be a good place to try. I have received lots of fabric this way for a project I do.

Also if you have any locally owned fabric stores talk with them. Sometimes they get fabric that doesn't sell well and will donate at least small quantities for special projects like yours.

I get free things often from freecycle.org. Try joining a local group in your area and around your area. All they ask is that you give something, (old clothes, shoes, yard sale stuff) and then after that you can ask for what you need.

It is a great way to keep things from going into the trash that other people can use!

I got a free ferret cage. Those are expensive.

Blessings,

Robyn

Go to the garage sales and ask for donations of unsold clothing or fabric. You will be surprised how many people will give stuff away for a great cause! Especially if they aren't able to restore it or recycle it and are bound to throw it away instead.

My dad has Alzheimer, and I just want to thank you for what you are doing for those people. Even if they don't understand, their family members will certainly appreciate your effort. You may want to try making stuffed animals too. My dad loves stuffed animals now. Thank you again and God bless you!

Have you heard of www.freecycle.org? It is free to join, and a recycling group can probably be found locally. To make or read posts, you must join.

You could post a request on freecycle for your crafting needs. There are many wonderful people in the recycling community who are more than willing to share items they don't want to go into a landfill, that they no longer have a use for. I have had many people share denim jeans, fabric, upholstery fabrics, etc. with me for crafting. I hope you have great success!

Craft Supplies
Saving Money on Craft Supplies
Better Living Charity AdviceJune 17, 2010
Colorful Valentine' Day cookies.
Gluten-Free Valentine's Desserts
Vintage Quilt
Repairing a Long Arm Quilting Machine
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
🎄