Recycled Wind Clackers

Perfect decoration for your clothes line!

• peanut butter lid
  • drill
  • liquid laundry detergent caps
  • ring (plastic vitamin cap)
  • string
  • bells
  • beads

1. Drill four holes around the edge of the lid of a peanut butter jar.
  2. Drill a hole in the center of four liquid laundry detergent caps.
  3. Loop two pieces of string (folded in half) through something shaped like a ring (I used a portion of a vitamin bottle cap for my hanging ring) and knot about 3 inches down.
  4. Thread each string through the peanut butter jar lid, knotting on the underside.
  5. Thread each strand through one laundry detergent cap and knot on the inside.
  6. I knotted the ends with a jingle bell to give my wind clacker an interesting sound.
  7. You can also drill a hole in the middle of the peanut butter jar lid like I did. Use a bead to anchor the middle string or knot it before threading it through the hole.
  8. Tie another bead or something else to the end of the middle string to give it a little weight. I tied a couple of jingle bells from the middle string also.

By Laura from Long Beach, CA

Wind clackers made from recycled materials.

I love that wind clacker. What a great thing to make with all the caps from the laundry detergent bottles.

What a great way to recycle! I hope you don't mind my sharing this.

Have many items to make wind chimes, but never occured to me to use jar top to hang them from. Now I can get my projects done. Thanks for great tip.

I might just try it. I just installed a sturdy clothes line. I'm hoping your idea will scare away the pecky bluejays and wood peckers that love my yard and apples each year. Why couldn't we add large jingle bells to the center of each one and have a tinkle of music with the clacking? lol : )

Very unique!!! Love it!

Go great with a double-wide....

What a creative way to recycle what normally would go into the trash!

This could even be used as a kid's craft or scout troop craft if an adult drilled the holes in the plastics ahead of time.

What a cute idea. I never thought of using laundry items. I love it and I'm going to make one. Thanks for sharing.

Upclose photo of a wind chime hanging outside.
Making Wind Chimes
Crafts Recycled Crafts OtherFebruary 15, 2008
Repairing Wind Chimes
Repairing Wind Chimes
Photo of palm trees and plants in the wind.
Protecting Plants From Wind
Wind chimes that are made from a clay pot.
Clay Pot Wind Chimes
Finished Wind Chimes
Silverware Wind Chimes