Potpourri Pie

This a pie that not only smells great, but looks great too. Muslin is cut to look like pie dough, potpourri is the the filling and more muslin for that open looking pie. You can even bake this one too!

Approximate Time: 40 minutes

• 9 inch pie tin
  • glue gun and sticks
  • potpourri
  • cinnamon
  • muslin
  • scissors
  • pinking shears

Instructions:

1. Cut the muslin strip 24 inches by 1 inches for circumference of the pie tin.
  2. Place this whole strip in pie tin and have material go back and forth and glue each fold of material.
  3. Top strip muslin; I used 4 strips, 1 inch by 8 inches, but you can use 6. I used pinking shears to make the cuttings.
  4. Ad

5. Place 2 strips across from each other about an inch apart and then put potpourri in, the fuller the better. Then weave strip under and over.
  6. Sprinkle with cinnamon, and I used an apple topper. Use your imagination.
  7. Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Place pie on cookie sheet and turn oven off. Put pie in and close door, leave in for 7-10 minutes. Keep an eye on this item. Baking brings out the smell. Can be cooked 3 times and then use potpourri oil after that, or new potpourri.

By Sally M from Buffalo, NY

Years ago my friend and I made these to sell at a craft show. We sold lots of them. We made the regular pie size, but we also made some in smaller tart tins. Before putting on the top crust layers we hot glued a layer of tulle netting to keep the potpourri from falling out. We also dyed the muslin strips with tea to give the crust a more realistic look. We never thought of actually baking them, tho. We just used the potpourri oil. I'll have to try that. Thanks.