Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Using Wall Glaze on Wallpaper

I previously posted a request, for applying glazing over wallpaper, to give the paper a vintage appearance. The answers weren't what I was looking for because I still want the pattern of the wallpaper to show through the glaze. I want to "antique" the paper. The paper is in a bathroom and is vinyl.

Sharon from Southern, Illinois

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By diane (Guest Post)11/23/2008

Try water base wood stain mixed with water and glaze.

By Learning to be Creative (Guest Post)06/01/2008

I actually used wall glaze over my wallpaper to give it the "antique" look. I went to Lowe's and got the already tinted umber glaze. I used a rag with the glaze on it and smeared it all over the wallpaper. But don't rub too hard or the wallpaper color will start to come off. It turned out GREAT! The already tinted glaze gave it the look I was going for.

By Becky (Guest Post)03/05/2008

I recently wallpaper my ceiling with embossed wallpaper looking like small tin squares. I painted it a light buttercream color but I am totally unhappy with it. Since it is a vaulted ceiling in a sunroom I know whatever I do will really show. Only I don't know what to do. I don't want to darken the room to much. Would putting a tint of the color of the wall (green ) in a glaze and painting over it have any effect so that the tins would show up better? Help

By Brenda Norrish [1]06/08/2007

If you want the original pattern to show through, paint your wallpaper with varnish to which you add paint (raw umber is a good "antique" colour, although you can add any colour you wish). Add just enough colour to suit the effect you want, and mix thoroughly (although paint streaks can also look good). To a water-based varnish use acrylic paint, or for solvent-based varnish use oil paints. The idea is to use a transparent layer of varnish tinted the colour you want. Try it first on some spare cardboard or wood.
Brenda

By AuntyC (Guest Post)06/08/2007

To antique an oil painting, I use a thin coating of amber paint. To antique wallpaper should be pretty much the same. If you have a spot to experiment, try scrubbing on a dark wood stain, like walnut. Don't put too much on the rag and scrub over a large area. This should antique it.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Using Wall Glaze on Wallpaper

Has anyone ever used "wall glazing" over vinyl wallpaper?. I detest my bathroom wallpaper! I would like to glaze over it, giving it a "vintage or aged" appearance.

Sharon from Southern Illinois

RE: Using Wall Glaze on Wallpaper

I have.... I did texture, paint and glaze over wallpaper (couple layers deep). The trick is using an oil based primer, putting on your joint compound and then painting and glazing. When I glazed I used a wet rag and swirled it on the wall and then took a clean wet rag and removed glaze until I was happy. It looks good, you would never know there was wallpaper under it. (06/05/2007)

By Sherri

RE: Using Wall Glaze on Wallpaper

Did you use the joint compound to cover the seams in wallpaper? Wasn't sure if that was what I needed to use . Thanks (06/05/2007)

By Frugal-Lady

RE: Using Wall Glaze on Wallpaper

I didn't cover the seams. That oil primer is pretty thick once it is on the wallpaper and once you do the texture (the joint compound) it doesn't show. I did a "trowel" look w/my texture. I am sure you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy the eggshell texture in a bucket and put that over the primer also if you didn't want to go to all the work of texturing yourself. (06/05/2007)

By Sherri