Using Wall Glaze on Wallpaper

I previously posted a request, for applying glazing over wallpaper, to give the paper a vintage appearance. The answers weren't what I was looking for because I still want the pattern of the wallpaper to show through the glaze. I want to "antique" the paper. The paper is in a bathroom and is vinyl.

Sharon from Southern, Illinois

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

To antique an oil painting, I use a thin coating of amber paint. To antique wallpaper should be pretty much the same. If you have a spot to experiment, try scrubbing on a dark wood stain, like walnut. Don't put too much on the rag and scrub over a large area. This should antique it.

If you want the original pattern to show through, paint your wallpaper with varnish to which you add paint (raw umber is a good "antique" colour, although you can add any colour you wish). Add just enough colour to suit the effect you want, and mix thoroughly (although paint streaks can also look good). To a water-based varnish use acrylic paint, or for solvent-based varnish use oil paints. The idea is to use a transparent layer of varnish tinted the colour you want. Try it first on some spare cardboard or wood.

Brenda

I recently wallpaper my ceiling with embossed wallpaper looking like small tin squares. I painted it a light buttercream color but I am totally unhappy with it. Since it is a vaulted ceiling in a sunroom I know whatever I do will really show. Only I don't know what to do. I don't want to darken the room to much. Would putting a tint of the color of the wall (green ) in a glaze and painting over it have any effect so that the tins would show up better? Help

I actually used wall glaze over my wallpaper to give it the "antique" look. I went to Lowe's and got the already tinted umber glaze. I used a rag with the glaze on it and smeared it all over the wallpaper. But don't rub too hard or the wallpaper color will start to come off. It turned out GREAT! The already tinted glaze gave it the look I was going for.

Try water base wood stain mixed with water and glaze.

Answer

Has anyone ever used "wall glazing" over vinyl wallpaper?. I detest my bathroom wallpaper! I would like to glaze over it, giving it a "vintage or aged" appearance.

Sharon from Southern Illinois

Using Wall Glaze on Wallpaper

I have.... I did texture, paint and glaze over wallpaper (couple layers deep). The trick is using an oil based primer, putting on your joint compound and then painting and glazing. When I glazed I used a wet rag and swirled it on the wall and then took a clean wet rag and removed glaze until I was happy. It looks good, you would never know there was wallpaper under it. (06/05/2007)

By Sherri

Using Wall Glaze on Wallpaper

Did you use the joint compound to cover the seams in wallpaper? Wasn't sure if that was what I needed to use . Thanks (06/05/2007)

By Frugal-Lady

Using Wall Glaze on Wallpaper

I didn't cover the seams. That oil primer is pretty thick once it is on the wallpaper and once you do the texture (the joint compound) it doesn't show. I did a "trowel" look w/my texture. I am sure you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy the eggshell texture in a bucket and put that over the primer also if you didn't want to go to all the work of texturing yourself. (06/05/2007)

By Sherri

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Home Improvement WallpaperJune 7, 2007
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2016 at 11:56:55 PM on 10.0.1.78 in 802 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.