Using Wall Glaze on Wallpaper

I previously posted a request, for applying glazing over wallpaper, to give the paper a vintage appearance. The answers weren't what I was looking for because I still want the pattern of the wallpaper to show through the glaze. I want to "antique" the paper. The paper is in a bathroom and is vinyl.

Sharon from Southern, IL

Best Answer

I actually used wall glaze over my wallpaper to give it the "antique" look. I went to Lowe's and got the already tinted umber glaze. I used a rag with the glaze on it and smeared it all over the wallpaper. But don't rub too hard or the wallpaper color will start to come off. It turned out GREAT! The already tinted glaze gave it the look I was going for.

To antique an oil painting, I use a thin coating of amber paint. To antique wallpaper should be pretty much the same. If you have a spot to experiment, try scrubbing on a dark wood stain, like walnut. Don't put too much on the rag and scrub over a large area. This should antique it.

If you want the original pattern to show through, paint your wallpaper with varnish to which you add paint (raw umber is a good "antique" colour, although you can add any colour you wish). Add just enough colour to suit the effect you want, and mix thoroughly (although paint streaks can also look good). To a water-based varnish use acrylic paint, or for solvent-based varnish use oil paints. The idea is to use a transparent layer of varnish tinted the colour you want. Try it first on some spare cardboard or wood.

Brenda

Try water base wood stain mixed with water and glaze.