Sticker Remover Made Plastic Cloudy

I have a clear plastic cover for a jewelry box. It had some stains on the top. I tried to removed them with sticker remover. I totally ruined the finish and now it's all cloudy. Is there anything I can do to save this piece? It can't be replaced.

Erika from Tallahassee, FL

Try a little squirt of WD-40 on a cleaning cloth, then apply. I don't know if it will work, but its what I would try.

Your piece looks like it is made out of acrylic. Some sticker goo removers are made out of same chemicals as nail polish remover, at least in part, and guess what nail polish remover can do remove acrylic nails, uh oh. So what you have now is an acrylic diffuser and you don't want that.

There is a post on thrifty fun called "Plastic Headlight Covers Aren't Clear Anymore," so check that out. Meguair's Plastix is what they are saying is the cheapest and most effective way to fix the plastic surface. Also maybe one of those curved chamois nail buffers will buff it back to a shine if you happen to have one on hand. WD40 is oil so might make the problem worse, but I don't know for sure.

A lot of fish aquariums are made from acrylic for the "glass" so they sell resurfacing kits to repair scratches, one is called Novus. I don't know if it is commonly available at a big box store but I would think you could go to a pet store or a store devoted to aquariums?

Please go to a auto parts store and get the Permatex Headlight (restore?) Kit. It's got a cleaner & a finish solution, and several small sheets of fine grain sandpaper. Plus, full instructions. It's not too expensive and it really does the trick. That's where I'd start. Let us know how things are going!

Home and Garden Repair OtherDecember 9, 2008
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
Bumper Sticker
Removing a Bumper Sticker
Removing Sticker Residue
Removing Sticker Residue
laminate samples
Cloudy White Spots on Laminate Countertop
🎄
🍂