Gift Jar Mixes

I am looking for dry recipes to put in empty, small jelly and pickle jars to give as gifts. I would like mixes such as flavored coffee creamers and seasonings, nothing too expensive.

Thanks.
Brenda from GA

Go to www.realfood4realpeople.com There are lots of recipe ideas for gift jars there.

I just made some hot chocolate jars. I put cocoa powder and sugar mixed together, then a few chocolate chips on top then some white mini marshmellows. I cut out some Christmas coloured tissue paper in a square shape and secured it to the top of the lid with an elastic. My 3 yr old had fun helping me.

This Christmas I received a bag of Betty Crocker cookie mix inside of a potholder w/ a pocket. It was tied with a beautiful ribbon. So cute, I stole the idea!

This is an inexpensive mix that uses pint jars. My kids love this recipe (and they are picky!)

Friendship Soup Mix

Layer in jar:

1/2 c dry split peas

1/3 c dry beef boullion

1/4 c barley

1/2 c dry lentils

1/4 c dried minced onions

2 tsp italian seasoning

1/2 c long grain rice

1/2 c small pasta (put this in a plastic bag - snack size works well - then attach to jar)

Instructions to attach to jar:

Set pasta aside. In a large saucepan, brown 1 pound ground beef. Drain. Add 3 qts water, 1 qt tomato juice (or other type tomato) and soup mix (whats in the jar). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add reserved pasta, cover and simmer for 15 - 20 min. or until tender. Yield 16 servings.

I purchase most of the ingredients at a dollar store, sav a lot, dollar tree, etc. Also watch for sales. One bag or jar of each of the ingredients makes several gift jars. I cut a square of Christmas cloth with pinking shears then put the band on over the lid. Then with a ribbon I tie on the instructions and the small bag of pasta. It is also good to just make a big pan of soup. I double the recipe and have plenty. (it is very inexpensive to feed a family too!)

Make gift mixes in a jar as an inexpensive Christmas Gift. Use a nice canning jar and fill it with the dry ingredients for a baking recipe. Decorate the jar and attach the recipe so that the recipient can complete the recipe by adding the necessary wet ingredients. To get recipe ideas just type visit the link below:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/Gifts_Gift%20Mixes_963_985.html

Answers:

Gift Jar Mixes

Hi, A nice "enhancement" to the jar gift, is a pot holder, spatula, cookie sheet, kitchen towel etc. These are things we never treat ourselves to, so we know are dear friends don't either! (11/08/2005)

By Tedebear

Gift Jar Mixes

What a good idea to add to my gift jars. But you can actually make a gift jar out of any recipe for cookies,cakes and bar recipes and just add intructions and a list of remaining ingredients to be added. (11/11/2005)

By imaqt1962