Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Over The Counter Medications That Rebuild Cartilage In The Knees

I want to know the name of any over the counter medications that rebuild cartilage in the knees. I had one knee operated on about 20 years ago and its still not much better than it was back then. I will not go the surgery route again. I just want to know of any medicines that you know work (Not ones that you have heard of). I have heard of alot of OTC medicines, but I want to hear from people who use them personally and how they have helped them.

Thank you!
Kim from Howell

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Eve (Guest Post)02/01/2009

I thank you for suggestions that I see here. I have tried Glucosamine/Chondroitin and also Collagen caplets. If you are taking aspirin or any other type blood thinning med(or any med that affects the thromboses in the blood), you may experience increased tendency to bleed. I plan to try the unflavored Knox gelatin. Thank you so much.

By Kristen (Guest Post)04/30/2008

Just a note: With the knee, you cannot regrow cartilage like you can regrow bone (otherwise noone would have arthritis). The cartilage in your knee is hyaline cartilage, which originates from mesenchyme tissue (stem cells.)During puberty stem cells dissappear from the body, and hyaline cartilage ceases to form. When injured, this may be replaced by fibrocartilage, but there will still be some pain. Glucosamine is your best bet to take... but it will take a few months to feel the full benefits.

By domenic (Guest Post)12/13/2007

Use move free advanced with msm it takes away the pain very
effectively.

By Susan (Guest Post)04/04/2007

My husband had problems and the thing we found that worked best was Knox Gelatin. Its very cheap and works with in a few days. You simply put a pack in water or juice and drinking it down. No is no taste and it works great. Be sure it is unflavored. Good Luck!

By Janice C. [18]04/04/2007

I also take glucosamine/chondroitin and it helps me. It helps short-term with the aches and pains, and long-term with joint cartilage rebuilding. The amount you take depends on your weight. The more you weigh, the more you need to take. I had a 300-lb. friend who complained that 3 pills a day weren't helping him - maybe he should've doubled the dose to see if that helped. I also take hyaluronic acid and that helps joints and skin. It's very good - as we get older, our bodies don't produce enough of it and when you start taking it, it doesn't take long to feel the benefit.

By susan [5]04/04/2007

Definitely try the glucosamine-chondroitin combo. It has been sold for years for animals and is known to work wonders.

I've tried it myself and gave it to my husband with his regular vitamins, not even telling him what it was, and he later mentioned how much better he was feeling. I ran out, so stopped giving it to him, and he remarked how he was hurting again. Since he had no knowledge of taking something different, it couldn't have been the placebo effect.

However, the first time I tried taking it myself, I saw no change either and quit taking it. I later tried a different brand and responded wonderfully. It was this other brand that we've continued to use (Schiff Move Free, Advanced). My point is, not all brands are produced the same, some are better than others, or at least metabolized differently. Unfortunately, the effect doesn't seem to last very long after you quit taking the product, making me think that it might lubricate the joints rather than actually rebuilding the cartilege.

By Kim McGrantham [16]04/03/2007

Chondromalacia is what I have also. Maybe I'll give it a try.. cant hurt! thank you all for the great feedback!

By Deanj04/03/2007

Glucosamine and Chondroitin is what some people use but it did nothing for me. Clinical studies have shown it has no effect on rebuilding cartilage. For the people who claimed it works, well that must be the placebo effect.

By Laura (Guest Post)04/03/2007

I have Chondromalacia. It is where the thigh bone and knee cap rub bone to bone when you try to straigten the leg, or put weight on the leg. Ouch. The Glucosamine - Chondroitin is not a cure, but it has even helped me. I can tell the difference. You can even find this for animals, dogs anyway, formulated for them. It has really helped my 15yr old Cocker. No more stiffness or soreness in his hips. He used to cry out if touched.

By Pat Giles04/03/2007

I know, for a fact, that the combination of Glucosamine and Chondroitin really do help slow down the effects of arthritis and help rebuild damaged cartilage. I'm 68 years old, have been taking this combination for about 20 years, and have no signs of arthritis. My arthritis doctor gives that combination the credit for my good fortune! I don't think it's ever too late to start on it, and it's not all that expensive. I, too, like the Osteo Bi-Flex product, but you can find the same thing by many other names.

By Debbie Dzurilla [24]04/03/2007

I take Osteo Bi-Flex. I do not have a problem but I'm in my mid 50's and just thought it would be a good idea. I think I am more flexible and have more spring in my step. I got mine in a big bottle at Sam's Club. You could also get at Wal-Mart, Glucosamine - Chondroitin is what it is and their brand is Spring Valley.

Good luck!

By betty (Guest Post)04/03/2007

my doctor just tole me to eat plenty of suger free jello it will build back the cartiage its worth a try
betty

By Julia in Indiana (Guest Post)04/03/2007

I have used Glucosamine - Chondroitin from Walmart. It did wonders for me.