Store Razor Blades and Steel Wool in Soap Gel

I found years ago, that shaver blades as well as soap pads will last for a long time, if you keep them in soap gel, I believe that the soap gel keeps metal from pitting and rusting, so they stay newer longer.

Make the soap gel made with just water and a sliver of a soap bar in some type of container. Make sure it is jelly like, and just rinse your shaver blades well. Then put them into the soap gel between use, and I found that the blade(s) were just as sharp as when new for months for my leg shaving.

With the soap pads, I put one into a smaller empty margarine tub, and cover it with water, and the next day, the soap turns into soap gel, and just take the now steel wool pad in the soap gel, and using the soap gel to clean your pots and pans, rinse it out, and put the pad back inside the soap gel, to keep the steel wool from rusting. The soap pads last longer that way, and when the soap gel is gone, start new with another soap pad in the tub.

I also cut them in halves (good for sharpening scissors too), and one half is cut into quarters, so that I have a larger piece, and two smaller pieces.

Source: I'm not sure, but, it's probably from a long time in Heloise, or similar. :)

By Kathryn from Rockford, MI

I may sound stupid for asking, but what is a soap pad? Is it a steal wool pad with soap on it?

---> I love your tip! Especially the ideal of using the soap gel to hold the razors because mine are always rusting. This would work especially well for those that live near the beach where the salt air can rust metal in only a day!

Yep, Cyinda, soap pads are like the Brillo pads my mom used to buy: steel wool pads already impregnated with soap.

btw, I think this concept is similar to the reason firearms are kept packed in grease or gun oil when they're being shipped. Not that I'm an expert, lol! I just read a lot.