OrnamentsDecorations

Making a Camera Ornament

My daughter is a photographer. Does anyone know how to make an ornament that looks like a camera? If you have a photo of one, that would be great. Thanks.

If I were you, I would go to the dollar store & buy a child's toy camera... If it's light enough you can just make an ornament out of it, If not, here's what you can do:

To make a mold out of the toy camera,

1) Spray the toy camera with "Pam" non-stick spray

2) Lay the camera on it's back on top of a piece of tinfoil or wax paper that's sitting on a cookie sheet or a piece of cardboard.

3) Take a caulk gun that's loaded with a tube of 100% silicone caulk (indoor or outdoor) from the hardware store & cover ONLY THE FRONT of the camera with the silicone until it's about 3/4 to 1 inch thick.

4) After the calk sets up (about 24 - 48 hours if it's at room temp) press paper clay into the mold, then remove the paper-clay from the mold so it can dry

5) After the paper-clay dries, paint it with acrylic paints. It may help to first use gesso or a sealer spray before painting the camera

6) no need to spray on a (matte, satin or gloss) sealer, but you can if you want for added protection.

* You could also use fimo instead of paper-clay if the camera is tiny... I suggested paper-clay because it's lighter than the fimo. Your molded camera will be 10 - 20% smaller than the original one due to shrinkage.

** If you know some who can sculpt, just give them a picture of the camera, the paper clay or black fimo & let them do their thing! ...

---> Don't forget to add a piece of wire, fishline, dental floss, yarn or string in a loop on the top to hold the ornament on the tree

Thanks Cyinda,

I hadn't thought about paper clay and fimo, I was thinking more along the lines of a soft sculpture, maybe out of felt. But I will definitely give the fimo some serious consideration. I have a pretty good supply of that. I think I would have to mold it around something like tin foil, though, or it would be too heavy for the tree and would take forever to dry in the oven.

Thanks again for great suggestions.

~gloria

A very easy camera is to take a small block of wood, paint it and nail a pill or film cover to the front for the lense. Add a little piece of foam or a bead to the top for the button. For a digital camer, a large photo sticker can be stuck to the back. For the other type of camera a small sticker to represent the view finder. I have a photo, but can't find it on my pc right now.