Fused Reusable Plastic Bags

contest winner icon

I learned that plastic shopping bags don't break down in dumps, so since this is terrible for our earth, I have tried to use them for many things. One way to use them I found, while searching online, was people ironing them together to make a thick plastic fabric. I loved the idea and goofed off with it. I even taught my students at school how to make book covers and wallets.

While playing around with the plastic bags I wondered what other plastic I could iron together. I was about to throw out my daughter's plastic tablecloths from her birthday party and thought "Well it has faeries on it, I wonder if I could use them on these plastic bags." Well it worked.

I have now created makeup bags, and purses out of plastic grocery/shopping bags and the tablecloths I would have thrown out. It's been great and fun. My daughter loves them. If you look up fusing plastic bags, there are instructions to how to do this.

By Mandee from Spokane, WA

Editor's Note: Here is a Valentine's project that fuses plastic bags together. It may give you a good starting point. Be sure to post your own creations and experiences here.

Are there any fumes we should be concerned with once the heat warms up the plastic? There's been a lot of talk lately about plastics and the gases etc. I just want to make sure this is safe, sounds like a GREAT idea!

Hi mandee. What a great idea. I will try to get the instructions on the site you said when you made your make-up bag. How did you fasten them? Also is there any fumes when doing this?

How about some detailed instructions? I love the concept, but like the others would have some fume concerns and with my allergies that's not just minor concern.

At what temperature do you set your iron to do this? Very cute and cleaver. Please give us a few more detailed instructions if you have a moment. Thank you.

According to comments on a tutorial at:

http://etsylabs.blogspot.com/2007/05/long-overdue-fusing-plastic-bag.html

You should open a window or do the fusing outdoors if you have medical problems with breathing.

I did this with a bunch of Whole Food bags before they stopped using plastic bags. I put green bias tape around the top and along the sides of the handles.

It sews just like fabric.

Reusable Shopping Bag
Homemade Reusable Shopping Bags
Crafts Recycled CraftsAugust 14, 2009
Making a Reusable Shopping Bag
Making a Reusable Shopping Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Two soldiers photographed fighting in WW II.
Did They Have Plastic Bags in WW II?
Green Reusable Shopping Bag
Using Reusable Shopping Bags
🎉
🎄