Computer Monitor Does Not Display Image

I have a 9 to 10 year old desktop running Windows XP which I disconnected in order to move furniture. When I reconnected it, it won't work. Well, actually I get power to both the tower and the monitor, but no "picture" on the monitor and in order to power down I have to disconnect.

Can I connect either the monitor or tower to my laptop, running Windows Vista, to see if maybe all I need is a new monitor? Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to dump it if it can be saved, but I don't want to spend money to be told it's beyond saving. Many thanks.

By annmacc from Pawtucket, RI

Call the company you get your internet service through and see if they have a support team. If they do call them and they can direct you on what to do. This is usually a free service internet providers offer.

Did you make sure your connections on the monitor cable, both to and from the units are tightly screwed in? I switched monitors when checking out a newly purchased used PC and the monitor didn't show an image the next morning. It turns out my connections were not tight enough so only the power worked. Good luck. :-)

Also check to see if you connected to the correct place on the tower, and if any of the ten, twelve or fifteen pins in the plug itself are bent or broken off. If so, call around to see if the cord can be replaced before you get another monitor. I see them being tossed all the time curbside and have replaced mine a couple of times when I find a better one. They are amazingly durable. Most folks only upgrade, not toss because they are broken. Keep that in mind if you see one on the curb. Good luck and God bless. : )

Computers RepairOctober 6, 2009
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
Computer Monitor
Adjusting the Resolution on a Computer Monitor
woman's hand cleaning a monitor
Safe Homemade Computer Screen Cleaner