Leather Fading on a Dooney and Bourke Bag

I have a Dooney and Bourke bubblegum colored "IT" bag. The pink leather has started to appear faded, almost whitish and there are a few spots like that on the purse? Does anyone know why this happens or how to clean it? Thanks!

Isabel from TX

I believe Dooney & Bourke has a lifetime guarantee on their bags. You should contact the retailer you purchased it from and ask them about it.

Hi, You can use a leather colorant kit to restore the color, take a look at some of the photos here of before and afters.

http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Handbag_Photos.htm

I also have a black tassel tote dooney and bourke and the black coated leather also has some fading spots that are greyish in coloring. can someone tell me if they have actually used a leather colorant kit on this kind of fading or some advice.

I have a white barrel purse and i have had it for about 5 or 6 years and it is almost completely yellow with brownish all over it. I no longer have a receipt to get it replaced so how would I go about getting it fixed? Please help.

I have a black Dooney IT bag, it has faded to an ugly grey. I sent them a e mail. They responded and asked me to send the bag for them to inspect and if they can't repair it they will give me half the current retail price on the item to apply towards a new item of equal or greater value. When you spend a lot on a bag you expect it to last a while! They should stop making the IT and other coated cotton bags if they are just going to be garbage in a few years.

The phenomena described here is not a problem with staining or the leather on the handbags. The D&B "IT" bags and others that have the leather trim and the graphic prints actually consist of cotton that is coated, very much like a rain coat.

Dooney & Bourke needs to improve the surface treatment because this is an extremely common problem on their coated cotton bags and no doubt the reason why a lot of people deride D&B as "cheap" compared to Coach or Louis Vuitton. (LV monogram bags consist mostly, also, of canvas but with bulletproof durability and a much heftier price tag to match.)

As far as I know there is no repair Dooney & Bourke can make other than offering a credit (which also echos my own experience when I approached them a couple years ago about the same problem). It's not clear why some of these bags have no problem whatsoever for 5 years or more and others start fading even when they are left mostly untouched in a dark closet. Heat and sunlight only accelerate the problem.

It is my impression as someone who once worked in a repair shop that there is an underlying defect or impurity in sealing the cotton such that the coating does not remain at the surface of the canvas as it should. All the handbags start off looking the same but within a year or two, regardless of whether they are used and even if you never apply any type of cleaning product to the canvas, the fading sets in.

From what I can tell, it's not that the color is wearing off from normal use but that it is being absorbed into the grain of the fabric. The result is the appearance of dull gray clouds or generalized fading, a problem which is most apparent on the black and brown graphical bags.

At the first sign of problem, it may slow the progression to condition the canvas surface with a leather conditioner or to to rub in some colorless shoe wax/polish (something I will be trying out on my own bag, actually). The bottom line here is that if you're going to salvage the bag you'll have to be willing to experiment (just be sure that none of the treatments you apply to the canvas touch the colorless "naked leather" trim unless you wish for it to darken down considerably).

Should anyone find a solution that prevents the problem in the first place, please post and let the rest of us know.

Cleaning a Dooney and Bourke
Cleaning a Dooney and Bourke Purse
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJuly 17, 2007
Golf Bag with Pool Cues in it
Uses for an Old Golf Bag
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
🎉
🎄