What are some ways to save money and manage it while going to college?
By Chantel from Portland
1) Learn the difference between needs and wants.
2) If you don't go anywhere, you won't need a car.
3) Get used to cheap meals. Get a rotisserie chicken and a head of cabbage and make soup, sandwiches, cole slaw, burritos, etc. I have a friend who does this and he finds it quite satisfying. The two items can last you all week for lunches.
4) Of course, buy books and other necessities second hand whenever possible.
5) Trade tutoring for goodies. Or give it away. What goes around comes around.
6) Attend the free events on campus for entertainment.
7) Don't go to stores unless you have a list, coupons for most of the stuff you're buying, and have already eaten.
8) Use what you have to the fullest extent possible. For instance, if you are an art major and can only afford pen and ink, push yourself to do the best work ever with that medium. Even Michaelangelo started out with the basics.
9) Choose your dorm mate carefully. Get someone who shares your values and can be trusted to not walk off with your stuff.
10) Treat your classes as pure pleasure, even when they seem over your head or not in your field of interest. Attitude of gratitude, etc. Attitude is 90% of everything. If you're determined to go the course, you will.
Have a fabulous time learning!
Get a small slow cooker. Find one with a removable container, this will make clean up easy. Now take the bones from last nights barbecue chicken with some onion, garlic and veggies of your choice and water to cover. Now your free to study, go to class, chill, dinner will be ready when you are. Remove the bones and discard. You can add rice at the start or quick rice about 20 min. before finished. Pasta only takes about 10 min at the end. One problem, the smell will have half your dorm clambering for the left overs. Now that you have made your first slow cooker dinner get ready to use anything you can think of to make dinner, slow and oh cheap.
Get an air popcorn popper; healthy, and delightful and actually nutricious to snack on! You can easily put taco seasonings; make your own parmisian cheese and garlic salt seasonings; this always smells delightful and lifts your mood! You will never feel deprived with this treat around! Rice cooker is wonderful as well; get from bulk; get jasmine wonderfully aromatic; and balsmati; get your seasonings by the tablespoon in bulk; far cheaper; take a steel water bottle with you and fill from fountains; can also take a thermos (stanley) with you; full of hot water/hot chocolate/coffee; carry tea bags with you.
Learn where you can sit and enjoy a cup of tea etc in a place where it is like a picnic! Instead of bemoaning the fact you can't get starbucks, love the fact that you have great beverages and enjoy them! Glean from other students what they were able to do; and what appeals and works for you, incorporate into what you do.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!