Homemade Dry Carpet Cleaner

I have found that by mixing a ratio of 5 lbs white cornmeal and 2 lbs of cornstarch together will make a very nice carpet cleaner. I sprinkle it on using my small mesh strainer and scrub it in with a long handled brush. Wait at least one hour, 2 is better; and then vacuum it up. I was using an expensive dry cleaner and I found that this was better. No chemicals either. Safe to walk on and for pets.

By Sheila S

Top Comment

Never put soap in your carpet. It is sticky and will always attract dirt. You cannot get it out no matter what you do unless you drag it on the lawn and rinse.

If you clean a spot with soap you will always have that spot which will bleed up and attrack dirt.

I have a clean mop that I use to mop my carpet with a very mild vinegar water solution. I use a lot of throw rugs which are easier to pick up and wash than to clean the carpet.

Top Comment

1 cup borax 2 cup corn meal 1/2 cup baking soda works most time. For heavy stains may need an acid wash.

What does the Cornmeal and Cornstarch replace?

A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetAugust 6, 2004
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe