Keeping Kitchen Food Staples Stocked

If you are tired of running out of kitchen staples, buy two and instead of putting it on your grocery list when you run out, put it on your list when the first one is gone. Having one in reserve can save lots of extra trips to the store because you are completely out of coffee, butter, etc. It may take a while to stock the extra ones, but if you add a couple each shopping day, you will never have to run to the store because you don't have an ingredient for a recipe you have already begun.

By Harlean from AR

This is a great idea, and can also be a big money-saver. My Mom used to catch certain things on special and load up on them. When a local store had a really good deal on her brand of coffee, chicken broth, mayonaise, bathroom tissue, etc. she'd usually buy their limit. If they were already out of stock she'd get a rain check and load up when they restocked.

I picked up the habit and it saves money and keeps me from running out of the essential stuff. It's extra nice when you win twice!

There are certain items that I always seem to find in recipes. Its important to keep items stocked so you're not running to the store every time you need to cook something. Buying two or three of the items when they go on sale is always a plus. Also, keep a white-board on your fridge. As soon as you run out of something or notice you are low, put it on there so you can pick it up the next time you head to the store.

Most importantly, know your cooking style. Certain types of cooking require different staples than others.

If you have particular staples that you can't live without, please add them to this list. I'm always looking to be more efficient in my cooking!

My kitchen staples:

Whole Wheat Flour

Self Rising Flour

Rolled Oats

Corn Meal

Sugar - brown & white

Brown Rice

Kidney Beans

Split peas

TVP - textured vegetable protein (longer shelf life than ground beef, and more versatile)

Canola Oil

Soy Sauce

Worcestershire Sauce

Butter - salted and unsalted

half & half - can be used in place of heavy cream & milk

White Wine - Chateau Cardboard works for basic stuff, use what you're drinking for wine-heavy sauces

Red/White/Balsamic vinegar

Benefiber - I'm 25, but I still add it to just about everything I cook. It's tasteless and won't change your cooking, but it really does pay to be 'regular'

Indispensable Spices:

Sea Salt

Black Pepper

White Pepper

Chili Pepper

Cayenne Pepper

Bay Leaves

All spice

Cooking From Scratch
Cooking From Scratch
Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingSeptember 7, 2004
Birdfeeder Bullies
Dealing With Birdfeeder Bullies
Pear melting out of a block of ice.
Freezing Pears
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants