Removing 'White Out' From A Check

I got a check in the mail. My son wrote his name on the back. I then used White Out, which made it look worse. What do I do now? Can someone help me?

By Tom from Philly, PA

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Take your check; your son; and yourself to the bank that you do business with. Have ID ready and tell them what happened. They are the only ones that can help.

I second Grannygirl and if the bank won't accept that then you'll need to talk to whomever issued the check and ask for a reissue but there will most likely be a fee because they'll have to protect themselves with a stop payment via their bank on this original check. Try the bank first!

September 12, 2010 Flag

How do I get white out off a check? Someone signed my check thinking it was hers then she whited out.

Dial from Arizona

Answers:

Removing "White Out" From A Check

The back of the check as in endorsing it you mean?

I think I would call your bank and see what their policy is about cashing it. (04/24/2008)

By Kaelle

Removing "White Out" From A Check

Contact the people who issued the check and ask them how to proceed.
I seriously doubt a bank would accept a check with White Out on it, in this day and age of "washed" checks and forgeries. It would
be prudent to ask for a replacement check and have them void

the "White-out" check.

Good luck. (04/25/2008)

Removing 'White Out' From A Check

I would definitely get in touch with whoever issued you the check, because it will almost definitely be seen as suspect at any financial institution, or at stores. Most of the time, you are not allowed to cash a check that has been "tampered with" in any way. Even in a retail store, any changes to a check must be initialed by the check writer as OK. For example, if you write $4.49 and then change it to $4.59 because you made a mistake, you must initial it in order to verify that you OK'd the change. (04/26/2008)

By bailegirl

Removing 'White Out' From A Check

I am a teller supervisor, and I can tell you, if that was presented for encashment or deposit at my bank I would have to recommend that the person in possession of the check take it back to the maker and ask them to reissue the check. Even if someone accepted the check, that does not mean it will not come back, checks can be returned for up to three years for certain discrepancies. Don't take the chance. (04/27/2008)

By purrplekat

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceSeptember 12, 2010
Background Check
Know What Information Is In Your Background Check
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
A Christmas wreath made from neckties.
Crafts Using Neckties
Vietnamese Iced Coffee, Saigon Style
Making Vietnamese Coffee (Cafe Sua Da)
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 4:39:49 PM on 10.0.2.47 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.