Recycle Carpet to Create Flowerbed

Recycle that old carpet, and shrink the landfills. Cut the carpet in to any shape, you want your flower bed to be. Lay the carpet face down, and cover with mulch. You use less mulch and it last for years and years. When you are ready to plant, cut a X and plant.This is not organic for your vegetable garden.

Source: A friend told me this, years ago.

By Laura from Spartangurg, SC

This is great until one goes to clean it up. My mother had done this all over her LARGE gardesns. It was horrible to clean up, and we still get threads wound around our tiller.

Old newspapers covered with mulch is much better and gives back to the earth. I use 10 layers of paper and no one knows it is there after the mulch.

Keeps weeds out wonderfully!

This is a wonderful idea. I once read a book called The Carpet Garden. The author recommended laying old carpet between the rows in a vegetable garden. It keeps the weeds down and holds moisture in the soil. Also, it makes it easy to walk between the rows of veggies cause you;re walking on the carpet.

Don't let the naysayer with the rototiller make you feel bad. lol

I put down old carpet outside under my swing. I couldn't afford concrete so it works real well. It covers a big area and its real shady so not a lot of grass but the dust and dirt was a problem and mud when it rained.

It's a great idea under fencelines, keeping weeds from growing up where they're hard to reach. If you're in an area with a slug problem, it can be tricky.

Good idea!

That's a very good idea,you can also use carpet to make a raised bed garden as I do with plastic or several layers of news papers, then put cement blocks or large post around it to hold the above down then fill the bed with manure or compost. You will have a garden for many years,just add more manure every year to keep it full. I have food all the year & freeze what we don't use, even share with the neighbors.

Uses for Old Carpet
Uses for Old Carpet
Better Living Green Living ReusingNovember 4, 2008
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Saving Money on Carpet, Installing Carpet
Saving Money on Carpet
shoe polish
Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet