Lazy Daisy Cake

• 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup cake flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • Ad
  • 1/2 cup milk

For frosting:

• 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup cream or milk
  • 1 cup coconut

Directions:

Cream eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder, and salt sifted together. Heat the butter and milk to boiling and add to mixture. Bake in greased 9x9 inch pan 30-40 minutes at 375 degrees F.

For frosting: Heat ingredients until sugar is melted. Top the cake and put under broiler until golden brown. Watch close!

By Robin from Washington, IA

November 7, 2011 Flag
As a young mother, I loved it when my daughter's school had bake sales. I would take in a New York style cheesecake, which always made a lot of money and, usually, a double pan of this cake. It is a very easy cake to make and super delicious. I just love the caramelly coconut frosting. They sold it by the piece and this cake always sold out fast too.

• 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla flavoring
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
Topping:
  • 4 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (I used light brown, but dark would be good also)
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut

Directions:

Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan. Put the milk and butter into a small saucepan and place over low heat to warm while you prepare the batter.

Beat the eggs until they are very foamy and have thickened slightly. Gradually beat in the sugar, then add the vanilla. Mix the remaining dry ingredients and add them to the egg and sugar mixture, beating until the batter is nice and smooth. Add the hot milk (stir it for a minute if the butter has not yet melted completely. This milk will be hot, but not simmering or boiling yet as it has heated just while you made the batter) and mix well.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Prepare the topping while the cake bakes. Combine the butter, cream, and sugar in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until melted and blended. Add the coconut and mix well.

Pour the topping over the baked cake (the cake can be warm or cool) and run it under the broiler for about a minute, until it bubbles and browns slightly.

Cool and serve

Servings: 9
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: s5 Minutes

Source: From one of my favorite cookbooks, "The Fannie Farmer Baking Book" by Marion Cunningham, published in 1984

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

Oh Yes, I remember very well all the school bake sales to raise money for various projects and they were fun, especially when joined by the old White Elephant Sale to make things even more interesting. We sold cookies by the dozens, or in 2's so a young mother could keep her little ones happily munching cookies while she shopped. Good Memories. Thanks Barb.

Pookarina

Thanks for the recipe. Could we please also have the New York style cheesecake recipe? Thanks!

I love Lazy Dazy cake (as my mom's recipe spells it)! It was always my very favorite cake, until I tried red velvet, now it's a tie. Our Lazy Dazy cake was made with a box mix yellow cake though & the frosting has chopped pecans in it. Now I'm hungry for it, will have to make some!

I just made this last night and let me tell you, my husband and I are so in love with it! The cake part is moist and the topping is absolutely amazing. :) I have some friends coming over shortly and can't wait to serve it to them. Thank you so much.

I received this email from one of our subscribers who isn't a member. Thought I would share it.

My grandma always made this cake and when I had children at home it was there favorite also. I often reminesce about lazy daisy cake.

Marlys

Coconut Cake on Purple Table Cloth
Coconut Cake Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CakesMay 3, 2011
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Donald and Daisy Duck Costume
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Daisy Tree
Growing a Daisy Tree
Lazy Susan with Marbles Teaser
Making a Lazy Susan with Marbles
🎉
🎄