Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

Having four dogs running around my garden, I found that the best way to avoid the trampled plants, bent branches, and other fun stuff that happens in a garden when pets run rampant is to work out where they like to run and make them their own racing track. Most dogs love to run along fence lines to see the outside world and an easy fix is to stake a length of cheap wire (chicken or strands) about 12 - 18 inches from the fence line. You probably won't need to do too much, just where there may be more delicate or precious plants. It's not very visible and saves a lot of stress on you!

Another idea is to make stepping stones as a path where they run. Get the kids involved and collect some flat pavers or bricks, etc. and lay a track in and around your plants for the dogs to use. Maybe glue and grout some colorful tiles to the pavers (the kids have a great time helping make original works of art!) and it has the added bonus of adding lots of color to the garden when the flowering season is over.
Cheers!

By vicki57 from Queensland, AU

I like the dog run area - you really can't fight it, they are dogs, so give them a place to run - away from your flowers!

Thanks we tried that but our husky learnt to jump over it from another husky we had briefly. I read another website that said lay chicken fencing flat on the ground and that would stop it, will give it a try. My once beautiful garden is in ruins because of my lovely husky and I am exploring ways to salvage the garden.