Window Jack O'Lantern

A simple use of fabric scissors and a little sewing to make your window into a giant jack o'lantern.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

• orange fabric to fit your window
  • ribbon or more fabric for casing
  • scissors
  • newspaper
  • tension rod to fit window

1. Measure your windows to find out how much orange fabric you will need. For me, three yards of broadcloth would just cover two windows.
  2. Next, make a casing for the curtain rod. I stitched some second hand ribbon to the top of my fabric to make a casing for the tension rod. You could instead use more of the orange cloth, if you have a couple of inches to spare on the height.
  3. Ad

4. Make a newspaper template of the pieces for facial feature patterns. I taped newspaper pages together to match the size of the window and drew on it, and cut the pieces out. Lay them on the fabric to be sure they are the size and look that you want. You can re-use the templates for your other windows.
  5. Lastly, cut the face out of the fabric.
  6. Ad

7. Use a spring rod to hang it in the window, in front of any existing window treatments, so that it can be seen from outside.
  8. Turn on the lights. Now your Jack O'Lantern is lit from within.

By Kirsten from Logan, UT

Aww! Great job! How ambitious! I would try this as a permanent alternative to my paper pumpkin window that I'm making. if I had a sewing machine! Here's a photo of a cardboard one from, see at: ... -yard-crafts/house-o-lantern-785223/

Thanks! Cardboard is an awesome idea! I will admit, mine had some teeth until I goofed (as I do when carving pumpkins as well) and cut it out as a plain smile. Haha. Maybe I'll get the one for the upstairs window right.

Window Jack O'Lantern
Making a Window Jack O'Lantern
Crafts Halloween DecorationsOctober 25, 2010
Monterey Jack Turkey Burger
Monterey Jack Turkey Burger Recipes
Jack O' Lantern Basket
Making a Paper Jack O' Lantern Basket
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Jack Sparrow Costume
two young girls choosing pumpkins
Visiting a Pumpkin Patch