Olive Oil for Sensitive, Dry Skin

I have really dry skin, and have tried many types of lotions to help. Most lotions that I used ended up leaving my skin slippery, which might leave a residue on fabrics I'm working with or get in the way of my work. They also didn't help my skin at all, they just kinda...sat there.

I've heard of Olive Oil being a good moisturizer for hair, so I thought I'd try it on my skin. It works amazingly well! It rubs in, even on my really dry hands, without making them oily (soaks in quickly)--so in a few minutes I'm free to go about my day. It also seems to help the skin heal itself.

I added some spearmint to a small coffee cup of olive oil and put it in the microwave for 10 seconds or so (to release the mint oil). It makes the oil a little scented, and also (since it is spearmint) acts as a mild astringent with the moisturizing oil.

Pretty inexpensive, and I'm sure you could add other scents as desired. I keep a coffee cup in the bathroom for frequent use. I would highly recommend trying this for anyone, but especially for people with sensitive, dry skin, and even with eczema (i have it on my hands and it helps a LOT).

By Davidicdancer from Spokane, WA

Other oils are good for skin too. I like to use grapeseed oil, teatree oil (also astringent), almond oil and avocado oil. Plain shea butter has also been used for 100's of years & works well. I was surprised too when I saw how quickly oil is absorbed.

To exfoliate, add the same amount of sugar and you have an excellent base for flaky skin. You are right, it's amazing and so cheap!

My 8-year old daughter has dry, itchy skin, and moisturizers just seem to make it worse. We've tried commercial creams and lotions designed for babies and sensitive skin, but no luck.

We recently started rubbing in a couple drops of extra light olive oil (I realize it is more processed than extra virgin; however it has no scent which would drive her crazy). She is delighted and says it is the only thing that doesn't make her itchier.

Bottle of olive oil with olive branch in the foreground.
Using Olive Oil as a Moisturizer
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care Dry SkinAugust 17, 2009
Dealing With Sensitive Skin
Dealing With Sensitive Skin
Storing Olive Oil
Storing Olive Oil
oil lamp on white background
Using Olive Oil as Fuel for Oil Lamps
Woman putting on Lotion
Moisturizing Tips and Techniques