ProductsCleaning

Store Brand Cleaners

Is there any difference between brand name bleach and the store brand?

By Lynda (crabby) from Kearny, NJ

When you read the labels you will see both are 5 percent chlorine compound; which means 5 percent and 95 percent water. The only difference is amount of ounces and price and any perfumes. Personally I don't like perfumed products so I just get plain of whatever is cheapest.

One thing that I use to clean scum out of showers and tubs is the shampoo that you use to wash your hair! No kidding! This works wonderful!Try it out, and you will see that it is a lot easier and cheaper than buying all the expensive things and you don't have to use elbow grease as much!

About the only thing that I don't buy store brand is dish liquid, used for hand washing in the sink. After yrs of using squirt after squirt and having to buy so many $1 bottles, I decided it was best to stick with what works best for that. Everything else, I usually get from the dollar stores, or generic brands.

Bleach is bleach. Salt is salt. Sugar is sugar, etc. You get the idea.

There is a big differance between name brands and store brand that is the price. Most store brands are made by the same companys that make the name brands. (ConAgra makes Jiff Peanut Butter also makes Wal-Mart Peanut Butter) I learned this from one of the Wal-Mart employee when we had the Peanut Butter recall. I do use some name brands like Dawn dish soap. I try the store brand, and if I like it I will use it: if not I will buy the name brand. Like PIKKA said Read the labels.

I've tried two different generic store brands of bleach over the past three years on my whites. They both did not get the stains out of the clothes. I had used Clorox Liquid Bleach prior to this experiment. After the result of the stains still in the clothing (with the generic brand bleaches) I went back to the Clorox brand and will stick with it. With the generics I ended up using 1 and 1/2 cups per load and still the stains were not gone. With the Clorox brand I use 1 cup per load and the stains are gone, so in the long run I'm actually saving money by not having to use so much and the clothes are stain free. P.S. I'm not plugging for Clorox - just giving my experience with the different types used.

Stick to the name brand. I have found that the color changes in cheap brands of Clorox when you add water in a bucket. I don't know what that means, but this does not happen with the name brand Clorox. Also, other generic brand cleaners are watered down if they are a liquid. That is one thing to think about.

I am looking for store brand names of cleaning materials to clean the kitchen and bathrooms. I would like to know which over the counter brands you think are really good, especially for cleaning scum out of the tub, and for getting bacteria out of the kitchen.

Thanks so much,
Sandy from Metairie, LA

Answers:

Store Brand Cleaners

Walmart brand of the Scrubbing Bubble type cleaner is awesome for scummy mess in the bathroom. Spray, multi task a few minutes and wipe. Usually around $1 a can and lasts a couple of months.

Most store brands of the Lysol brand, or Mr Clean type cleaners that you self mix with water, work wonderfully well for general cleaning and don't usually contain harsh fumes or leave residues for people with allergies or pets. I just mix them up in a spray bottle about half the recommended strength, spray and wipe. For the floor, I spray and mop up with a damp mop. Usually around $1-1.50 a bottle and it lasts 2-3 months of regular cleaning. The Family Dollar Store brand of Febreeze is better than the original and has an awesome citrus scent. A fraction of the cost as well. (04/30/2007)

By sweetcultivator

Store Brand Cleaners

"THE WORKS" sold at Wal Mart, Dollar General etc. is the best for all cleaning. It is usually a dollar a bottle and if there is grunge, stains etc. "THE WORKS" will take care of it with little or no scrubbing. (04/30/2007)

Store Brand Cleaners

I am not sure if they sell spray 9 in the good old U.S.A. Trust me, it is the best cleaner I have ever used. It is used for the kitchen, bathroom, automobiles, and outdoors. It kills germs tough on grease, grime and stains. Hope you can get it. I buy it at Wal mart here in Canada. Try the hardware dept. (05/01/2007)

By skiggyNT