Share & Vote

Freezing Corn

0 0EmailFollow
Freezing Corn

Whether you dealing with a bumper crop from your garden or there was a great deal at the super market, freezing your extra corn will ensure you have some to add to meals later when you need them. This is a guide about freezing corn.

Solutions: Freezing Corn

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Buy and Freeze Corn In Season

I just got finished cutting some corn off the cob and thought I'd share my thoughts on that. I have gotten to the point where, when it is on sale, I buy a few more ears of corn than we can eat at one time and cut it off the cob to freeze for later. I do this several times a summer.

After it is boiled, when it has cooled, I get a sharp knife and a paper or foam plate that I can use to pour or scoop the corn into a zip freezer bag. Quart bags are the best size for our family. I have found that cutting the corn from the point down is a better way than the other end up. When the corn is off the cob, I take the knife and scrape the cob to the plate so I can get all the good off the cob. If adding salt, pepper, or butter, wait till ready to eat.

Next there are several things you can do. You can squeeze out the air and freeze or save for another meal. Or you can add some of the water that the corn was boiled in to avoid freezer burn, then squeeze out the air. You could also put the cobs back into the corn water and boil for more flavor, then use the corn water to water pack the corn for the freezer. That more flavorful corn water can also be used in soups or stews and can be frozen separately for added flavor to other dishes.

The water packing and squeezing the air out will help keep the corn good for a very long time. I've found corn in the back of the freezer that had been there more than a year and it was in great shape. It didn't have any holes in the bag and tasted great. When ready to eat the corn, you can pour off the water packed broth, heat it with corn, or dump the whole bag into a pot of home made soup. Tastes great in the winter. .

By Squeeky from Western PA

Tip: Freezing Corn on the Cob

This may be a little early in the season, but as I used the last of my corn from the freezer for dinner tonight, it reminded me to share this with everyone. Over the years, I have tried many times to freeze corn on the cob. Most instructions say to blanch and cool. But we didn't like the "off" flavor that method imparted. I think I have found the perfect, and also the most simple, way. And the end result is corn on the cob from the freezer that is as good as from the garden!

Just take your ears of corn as you pick them or as you bring them from the market. Do not remove the husks or the silks. Don't even strip them down. Just cut the sharp end off the bottom of the ear just below the cob. Wrap each ear separately in plastic handi-wrap and pop them into the freezer. They do not have to be bagged. I have a wire basket to keep them together.

When you are ready to use them, remove the plastic wrap, leave the husks intact, and lay them, a couple at a time, in the microwave. We are a family of two, so I do two ears in the microwave at high power for 10-12 minutes. Carefully, using potholders, pull the husks off and brush the silk away. Dress them up with a little butter and salt. YUM! Tastes like fresh from the garden!

By Harlean from Arkansas from Hot Springs, AR

Article: Freezing Corn

frozen corn

Selecting High-Quality Corn:

Corn should be harvested for freezing in the "milk stage" (as soon as the kernels are full of sweet, milky-colored juice). If the fluid in the kernels is clear, the corn is not ready yet. Try to process the corn a quickly as possible after harvest, before its natural sugars start turning to starch. Purchased corn should be kept refrigerated while being sold, if it's not, reduce storage time accordingly. Husks should be green, silks should be moist and gold and the kernels should be packed in tight, even rows. freezing guide

Preparing for Freezing:

Husk and trim the ears, remove silks and wash. Sort according to size. Cobs should be pierced lengthwise in the center with a sharp knife. If freezing kernels, remove them from cobs.

• Blanched: Clean and prepare cobs. Water-blanch small ears (1 1/4 inches or less in diameter) for 7 minutes, medium ear for 9 minutes, and larger ears (over 1 1/2 inches in diameter) for 11 minutes. Cool promptly and drain. Transfer to suitable containers, seal and freeze.

• Unblanched: This is the easiest and fastest way to freeze corn-on-the-cob. Leaves husks on the cobs. Place the ears in a single layer on trays and cookie sheets or just place them directly in the freezer in a single layer. Freeze until firm (48 hours) and place them in large freezer-grade plastic bags for long-term freezing.

• Boilable Bags: Clean and husk cobs and pack them in boilable bags. Add seasonings if desired, press out air and seal. Blanch bags for 5 minutes on either side. Cool immediately, pat bags dry and freeze.

Whole Kernel Corn:

• Boilable Bags: Remove kernels from cob. Pack in boilable bags, add desired seasoning, press out air and seal. Blanch in boiling water for 6 minutes. Cool immediately, pat dry bags and freeze.

• Dry Packs-Water: blanch cobs for 4 to 6 minutes. Cool, drain and remove kernels from cob. Package in suitable containers for freezing, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Seal and freeze.

Cream Style Corn:

• Blanched: Husk and prepare cobs. Blanch for 4 minutes, cool promptly and drain. Remove kernels from cobs by cutting down through the center of the kernels and scraping the cobs with a knife to remove the juice and hearts from the kernels. Do this over a large kettle. Remove any remaining corn on the cob. Plunge the kettle into a sink filled with ice water and stir to cool. Package, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace, seal and freeze.

• Unblanched: Husk and prepare cobs. Remove kernels from cobs without blanching by scraping them into a double boiler. Heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until corn thickens. Stir constantly. Place pan in sink filled with ice water to cool. Package, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace, seal and freeze.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging for freezing corn includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic containers or glass containers and heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

To remove frozen cobs with husks, run them under cold water.

Tips & Shortcuts:

To cook frozen cream-style corn, add a small amount of milk or light cream, salt, pepper and a 1/2 tablespoon of butter.

Refrigerating Corn:

Keep corn in the refrigerator in perforated plastic bags for 1 to 2 days.

By Ellen Brown

Recipe: Preparing Corn For Freezing

It's going to be time to be freezing corn in our area before we know it! There is nothing better than Iowa sweet corn, especially in the cold winter time. It's a great reminder of summer!

• 20 cups corn, cut from cob, scrape juice
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 cups water

Bring to a boil. Cool to freeze.

Servings: 20
Prep Time: 20-30 Minutes
Cooking Time: Just long enough to bring to a boil.

By Robin from Washington, Iowa

Recipe: Uncooked Frozen Corn

• 20 cups corn
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt

To get 20 cups corn: Insert ears into boiling water. Boil 6 minutes. Take out and put in ice water. Cut kernels off ear. Then measure for above recipe. Keep in ice water 3 minutes. 4 cups cut off corn fits into 1 qt. bag. Each 8 inch ear equals 3/4 cup.

Freeze: To cook put frozen corn in 1/2 cup water and butter. Cook 5-10 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Tip: Storing Sweet Corn

Remove corn from the cob and blanch them. Cool and store in airtight container and freeze.

By Dorothy from SA

Recipe: Blue Ribbon Corn

• 36 ears of sweet corn
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup half and half

Cut corn from cob and place in roaster pan. Melt butter and drizzle over corn. Add half and half and mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Place in freezer bags. Cool to room temperature and freeze.

By Robin

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Freezing Corn.

Question: Freezing Cooked Corn on the Cob

Today I cooked some corn on the cob on the stove. I had a lot of leftover cobs. Is it safe to freeze them and then heat then up again in a week or so?

By Mel S.

Most Recent Answer

By Dreamwvr [1]06/21/2011

I wouldn't freeze it, I would refrigerate it. When you reheat it from freezing (if it's been cooked all the way), it will be mushy. :(

Question: Freezing Corn on the Cob

With all the gardens here, I get lots of summer corn. What is the best way to freeze it, with the husk on or off? Must I blanch it first or just husk, seal, and store? Thanks for all replies!

By Edith

Most Recent Answer

By Doris [1]08/17/2011

When we had a garden, I froze corn on the cob and off the cob. I preferred it off the cob as sometimes one could taste the cob if frozen on the cob, and it took up much more room in the freezer. When I froze it on the cob I always shucked it, cleaned off the silks, blanched it, cooled it and put them in zip lock bags.

When I froze it off the cob, I shucked it, cleaned off the silks, blanched it, and as soon as it was cool enough to handle, cut it off the cob. I filled a zip lock bag half full, flattened it out and put into freezer. By flattening out the bags, they freeze faster, take up less room, and defrost quicker.

Question: Freezing Corn on the Cob

Can I put corn in the husk, from my garden, directly in the freezer?

Most Recent Answer

By Diana Albers [12]09/08/2011

No, do NOT just stick it in the fridge. You must blanch first and then shock it in ice cold water.

Question: Freezing Corn

How do you blanch corn on the cob and then cut it of the cob to freeze it? How long do I boil it and how long do I submerge it in an ice water bath?

By Elaine

Most Recent Answer

By Cindy08/23/2011

Husk and silk the ears. Corn must be scalded, on the cob, otherwise there is too much loss of corn milk. Sort ears according to size. Scald only a few at a time. Blanch in boiling water for 4 1/2 minutes. Ice bath until cool enough to handle easy to stop the cooking. Either freeze whole or cut off cob, then freeze. I have done it this way for years. Over a long period of time the one cut off the cob keeps better. These direction are from my freezer book.

Question: Freezing Corn on the Cob

What is the best and easiest way to freeze corn-on-the-cob?

By Linda K.

Most Recent Answer

By Virginia T.08/02/2011

Don't know if it is bad, but I just shuck them. I put in freezer bags and freeze. They seem to be fine when I use them later.

Question: Some of the Kernels on My Frozen Corn Turned Brown

I tried freezing corn on the cob this year. I followed the instructions in a preserving book. After a few days in the freezer several kernels turned brown. Is this still safe to eat? What happened?

By Geraldine from Havre, MT

Most Recent Answer

By Jacque [6]09/26/2010

You didn't say how you stored your corn in the freezer.

I cut both ends of the ear of corn, remove loose husks, put ears with husks on into a brown paper grocery bag, close the top and freeze. I can remove any amount of corn, finish husking and cook. The best way to cook corn on the cob (learned from grandmother 50 years ago) is to bring water to a boil, drop corn in, when water begins to boil again, corn is done.

Question: Freezing Sweet Corn

Approximately what is the yield from 100 ears of sweet corn after being cut from the cob?

By Nancy

Most Recent Answer

By Joan [13]07/21/2011

According to what I have heard, it takes about three ears of corn to make one cup.

Question: Freezing Corn on the Cob

What is the best way to freeze corn on the cob?

By Joyce

Most Recent Answer

By DeedeeB5906/21/2012

This may sound a little strange and a bit dangerous, but my Dad swears by this method. Shuck corn and brush silk away. Using an electric drill with a very long, fairly large diameter drill bit, while holding each ear of corn, drill a hole through the center of the cob the length of the ear of corn. (This should also get you some help from the man in your life - the opportunity to use power tools while helping you to fill the freezer is very attractive!)

Blanche the corn in boiling water, immediately cool in ice water, then freeze in ziploc bags. To cook - drop frozen corn in boiling water to thaw and complete the cooking process. Dad's theory is that the hole through the cob draws moisture and keeps the corn from becoming mushy. Not sure if his theory is scientifically correct, but his frozen corn on the cob is great!

Question: Shelf Life for Frozen Corn on the Cob

What is the shelf life for fresh frozen corn on the cob?

By dfp

Most Recent Answer

No more than a year unless your freezer temperature is zero degrees or below.

Question: Freezing Corn

Do I need to do anything to the corn; cover in double foil and freeze?

Question: Cooking Frozen Corn on the Cob

We grew, shucked, cleaned, and blanched our corn on the cob, then wrapped it in foil, placed in plastic bags, and froze. Now that we are ready to eat the frozen corn on the cob. Which is the best way to heat or reheat the corn cobs?

By Jan F.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Freezing Corn

I would like to know how to freeze green beans and fresh corn.

RE: Freezing Corn 07/12/2004
What is the best method for freezing corn on-the-cob?

Husk, remove silks, and trim ends of corn. Use a large kettle for blanching. Blanch small ears (1 1/4-inch diameter) 7 minutes; medium ears (1 1/4- to 1 1/2-inch), 9 minutes; large ears (over 1 1/2-inch diameter), 11 minutes. Chill in ice water until cool. Corn that is not thoroughly cooled may become mushy. Cooling corn-on-the-cob will take longer than the blanching time. Pack tightly in freezer bags or rigid containers. Squeeze as much air as possible from bags before sealing. Leave 1/2 inch headspace for expansion in containers.

To blanch vegetables in boiling water, start counting blanching time as soon as the vegetable is placed in boiling water. Blanch no more than 1 pound of vegetables per gallon of boiling water at a time. Immerse wire basket or mesh bag with vegetables in boiling water. Cover and blanch for required time. Cool immediately in ice water. Drain thoroughly. l

By Anne H.
RE: Freezing Corn 07/12/2004
Freezing fresh corn. My father-in-law taught me a quick, easy way to freeze corn with wonderful results. Partly pull husk down just enough to cut the ends off and pull husk back up on ear. Fold the husk back over the end of the ear of corn and put a rubber band around it to hold the husk down on the ear. Place corn in the freezer in paper sacks, husk and all until you are ready to eat. You can run hot water over them to peel husk and de-silk them or you can take them and put them in the microwave. Three minutes on high setting per ear of corn and the silks slide right out. This is a wonderful method for people who only want to cook one at a time.
By LaDonna
RE: Freezing Corn 07/14/2004
An easy way to take the corn kernels off of the cob is to take a bundt or spring form pan and stand the cob upright in the hole. Then use your electric knife down all sides of the cob and the kernels fall right into the pan. This is great for when I am doing several dozen ears at a time. I just dip my 1 cup measuring cup into the pan and scoop it into my freezing container. I blanche my corn by putting the ears into a rolling boil for a few minutes. Then I remove them to a ice water bath for quick cooling.
By Sharon
RE: Freezing Corn 10/15/2004
I enjoy my homemade creamed corn much better than the creamed corn available in the stores. Plus you know what is in it. I take raw corn cobs, cut off the kernels (not too deep) and then scrape down the cob to get all the rest of the corn off the cob. Get your roaster out and turn on the oven to 350F. Mix 8 cups raw corn, 3/4 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter (if you use margarine the corn doesn't stay "good" as long in the freezer, it's flavor diminishes over time, I know, I've tried both ways), and 1/2 tsp salt. Bake in the oven for one hour. Give it a stir once inbetween. Cool and freeze in small amounts just right for your family. Wonderful and easy way of doing corn!
By valleyrimgirl
RE: Freezing Corn 07/18/2005
I just finished freezing my corn using the 20 cup method listed previously. It worked wonderfully and to my surprise did not scorch. I used 2 cups half and half and a lb of butter then seasoned with salt. To cool i placed in smaller containers emersed in ice which helped cool the corn quicker. I then placed in a half gallon pictcher by cupfuls and then poured in the freezer bags which created less mess. Thanks for your help on this as this was my first attempt.
By Donna
RE: Freezing Corn 07/24/2005
I do mine like Anne posted. The blanching kills bacteria and such, even in low temps bacteria can still live and multiply. Most home freezers do not get cold enough to properly kill bacteria and germs. So blanching is a must. And this is also called 'setting' your fruit or vegetable. It helps to save the nutrients and flavor.

But if you want cream style corn, follow the rules for blanching the corn, let cool in cold ice water, then get you a creamer just for this. You can get them at any hardware/feed store that sells canning supplies ,and they are aroung $3-5. Run the cob over this til you get all the kernels off and the juices. And as soon as you get thru it can go straight into the freezer , since the corn has already been cooked. This is alot easier and less time consuming then the older methods. I have been farming and canning for many many years and this is the way to go!

But a big hint is the type of corn you are putting up too will make all the difference in the world as taste is concerned.

By kattankerous

Archive: Freezing Corn on the Cob

I know that corn on the cob can be frozen, but I don't know if any special prep is needed to do this. Could someone please tell me what I need to do to freeze it on the cob? My dd's grandmother gives us some of their extra.

Archive: Freezing Corn on the Cob

Is it OK to freeze corn on the cob without blanching the cobs?

Archive: Freezing Corn on the Cob

Fresh corn on the cob, we usually cut some off both ends and put in microwave for 2 minutes for each, then easily shuck it.

Archive: Freezing Corn on the Cob

How do I freeze fresh corn on the cob?