Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

By lkon 1

Can applesauce by substituted for oil in all recipes?

By lkon

Showing: Answers Sort

By Vicki 24 428 Flag

Maybe not all, but it works great in cakes and I have been meaning to try it in cornbread, but not done it. One of the best cakes I ever made was a cheap box of cake mix and cake frosting from a dollar store and I replaced the oil with applesauce and used egg white instead of whole eggs. It was incredibly moist. My picky mother claimed she could "taste" the applesauce, but I noticed no difference and the cake remained marvelously moist for days. Oh, also, I did use baby sauce applesauce which probably has less sugar and of course, is ultra-fine in consistency.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lilac 20 1,329 Flag

It can but I would just as soon not have a piece of cake made with it. I can taste the difference and I don't lik it. Per piece, the oil and applesauce only have a few calories difference so why ruin the taste of the cake.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Well, if you're asking regarding baked goods I would think it would be okay for many, many recipes but I definitely wouldn't take the chance of ruining any general meal recipes by switching out the oil with applesauce which would certainly change the flavor outcome!

Keep in mind that substituting applesauce in baking also changes the way a recipe behaves structurally.Here's a link with some information that should be helpful for you with switching the ingredients for baked goods:

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/blogs/dinner/pages/124027.aspx

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Applesauce with Pork Roast
Recipes Using Applesauce
Previous
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingMarch 7, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Applesauce with Pork Roast
Recipes Using Applesauce
Applesauce
Applesauce Bar Recipes
Canning Applesauce
Canning Applesauce
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 1:25:16 PM on 10.0.1.189 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings