Cleaning a Coffee Carafe

Having a clean decanter helps keep your coffee tasting delicious. This guide is about cleaning a coffee carafe.

Coffee Carafe
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 31, 2010 Flag

Almost everyone I know has forgotten to turn off the coffee pot from time to time. We tend to think a cleanser will get the grime out but, in reality, it scratches the carafe and it will break easier.

The best way to remove those tough baked on stains is to put some ice cubes into the carafe, and slosh them around until all the burnt coffee is gone. Simple, easy, and very clever.

By Maphisx7 from Gordonsville, VA

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 8, 2011 Flag

There is a bitter green tea taste in my coffee travel carafe. It makes my coffee taste bitter. How can I remove the taste?

By Vivian from New York City

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fill it with hot tap water and add 1 or 2 (depending on capacity of thermos ( I use 2 in my quart size) denture tablets (these are the tablets used for cleaning artificial dentures). Let this set unclosed until the water has cooled (I do this overnight) then rinse well and you are set to go. If the top also needs cleaning fill a container that is large enough to hold it and follow the same procedure.

This is a completely safe way to clean as the tablets are used for dentures which will return to the mouth when the dentures are cleaned.

Good luck.

Please 'do not use bleach' as it can leach in to the lining of the carafe! I so wish that people understood that bleach can contaminate any food utensil that might have a porous material!

Fill half way with hot water, add a couple tablespoons of salt, put lid back on, shake like crazy, finish filling with hot water, shake again and allow to soak for a few minutes. You can also try roopasekhar's vinegar idea but make sure the water is hot.

Great advice on Thermos Cleaning. I just used the Denture tablets, my Mom lives with me and we had plenty on hand. After just a couple hours I rinsed carafe and it was sparkling clean! Saved me from buying anything special. I'll definitely use this method in the future. Thanks for the idea. :)

Take about 1 tsp of baking soda and fill with hot water. Shake to dissolve and let it set for about 1/2 hour. Then use a bottle brush, wash and rinse. It will sparkle again.

Read More Answers...

January 21, 2011 Flag

I just spoke with one of my sons and he gave me a great tip. He uses an auto drip coffee maker. When he empties the carafe, he rinses the filter and uses it to scrub the inside of the glass carafe. He tells me the glass shines like new money. The filter is just abrasive enough to remove the coffee stains without harming the finish. You don't have to fool with the vinegar boil every few days or weeks depending on how often you use the pot.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

August 7, 2009 Flag

Anyone have any suggestions for removing coffee stains from a white plastic coffee carafe lid?

By Balber from Buffalo

Hi. We just did this, use dish washing liquid full strength on the stain. Disappears in seconds! Use it on the stains in your coffee mugs too!

Very simple, just run it thru a water only brew cycle with any denture cleaning tablet (no-name ones work great). If it still needs more, then soak in overnight with two or three tablets.

If you use lemon juice and sugar or salt you can clean the stain without damaging the plastic like some of the harsher cleaners can and you don't end up with a chemical smell.

For years I have used baking soda to get the coffee stains off the plastic carafe lid as well as inside the carafe. Just sprinkle enough on to make it grainy, rub with your dishcloth or a wet sponge, and rinse. Not only does the baking soda scrub off the stain, it also removes the leftover coffee smell!

Read More Answers...

July 5, 2005 Flag

The hints I received were so good on how to remove coffee stains from the lid of my thermos carafe, I now need to know how to remove the coffee smell from the thermos carafe itself. You guys are all great.

Laurie

Try ice, preferably crushed, and comet. Swish it around for a minute or two, dump and rinse. This also works for your coffee pot. If comet scares you, although it hasn't killed me yet, try salt.

This should help with the bad taste and smell from coffee in your thermos carafe, Just fill the bottle with water, pop in four antacid tablets, and let the mix soak for an hour or so. Rinse well. Then wake up and taste the coffee. Give this a try.

if you stick to a thermos or cup with a stainless steel liner, it should be much easier to clean. i would recommend making the investment for a few bucks more as your stuff begins to wear out. until then... plastic absorbs smells so easily that, unless you're rinsing it out religiously, you're always going to get a stank on them. baking soda is my go-to for just about any smelly thing i have. super cheap it very effective!

i haven't tried the denture tablet thing on a travel mug yet, but it does really well on toilets and such for maintenance. will keep it in mind.

I had that problem as well, and now I wash it out at the end of the day, fill it with hot water and let it set over night, in the AM it is good to go. It seems when it sits closed up is when that smell comes. Also, every once in awhile, just because I have a sensitive sniffer. I put some vanilla ice cream inside and let it set for a bit. When I rinse it out the smell is much better!

Read More Answers...

March 4, 2008 Flag

If you have a stained glass coffee maker carafe with the plastic top (pour spout area), resist the urge to clean it in the dishwasher. The sealant around the plastic section will soon shrink and start to leak coffee when you pour. Instead, just put in a spoon of dry dishwasher detergent and fill the carafe with water to below the plastic section. In a matter of seconds, you will see large dark flakes of 'stain' peeling off the inside of the glass. Swish with a dish brush, or pour out the water and wipe the inside with a sponge, then rinse. The glass will quickly be clear as new!

By CrafterMary from Mtn. Pine, AR

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesApril 23, 2013
rinsing out a coffee pot with hot water
Cleaning a Coffee Pot
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Coffee Stain on Carpet
Removing a Coffee Stain from Carpet
cup of coffee
Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 6:04:30 PM on 10.0.0.81 in 880 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.