Cleaning a Coffee Carafe

Having a clean decanter helps keep your coffee tasting delicious. This guide is about cleaning a coffee carafe.

March 31, 2010 Flag

Almost everyone I know has forgotten to turn off the coffee pot from time to time. We tend to think a cleanser will get the grime out but, in reality, it scratches the carafe and it will break easier.

The best way to remove those tough baked on stains is to put some ice cubes into the carafe, and slosh them around until all the burnt coffee is gone. Simple, easy, and very clever.

By Maphisx7 from Gordonsville, VA

It also helps to add some salt to the ice cubes before you "slosh" it. I worked in a restaurant when I was young & those glass pots were forever getting left on the burner empty & burning-nasty smell! Anyway,that's how we cleaned them. The salt keeps the ice from melting so fast & acts as a scrubbing agent.

Wow does this work for real? and maybe for other stuff? Far out tip.

Yes it does. I have done it many times. I leave for work and sometimes hubby forgets to turn off the coffee pot. Ours at work sometimes is burnt as well and it is so easy to clean. Some of them wanted to just pitch it. LOL

Yep, I also did the restaurant scene, with the "all day coffeepot" getting stained. I add some salt to the mix for the same reason. I also throw in a bit of lemon juice to let the acids help break it all down.

January 21, 2011 Flag

I just spoke with one of my sons and he gave me a great tip. He uses an auto drip coffee maker. When he empties the carafe, he rinses the filter and uses it to scrub the inside of the glass carafe. He tells me the glass shines like new money.

March 4, 2008 Flag

If you have a stained glass coffee maker carafe with the plastic top (pour spout area), resist the urge to clean it in the dishwasher. Instead, just put in a spoon of dry dishwasher detergent and fill the carafe with water to below the plastic section.

January 8, 2011 Flag

There is a bitter green tea taste in my coffee travel carafe. It makes my coffee taste bitter. How can I remove the taste?

By Vivian from New York City

Wash it with Dawn dishwashing liquid using a bottle brush or dish sponge and hot water to remove the oils, be sure to include the threaded top. Rinse well then fill with baking soda in water to the brim so it will cover the screw threads and let sit overnight, Next morning rinse and should be ready to go and clean smelling and tasting.

Fill it with hot tap water and add 1 or 2 (depending on capacity of thermos ( I use 2 in my quart size) denture tablets (these are the tablets used for cleaning artificial dentures). Let this set unclosed until the water has cooled (I do this overnight) then rinse well and you are set to go. If the top also needs cleaning fill a container that is large enough to hold it and follow the same procedure.

This is a completely safe way to clean as the tablets are used for dentures which will return to the mouth when the dentures are cleaned.

Good luck.

Please 'do not use bleach' as it can leach in to the lining of the carafe! I so wish that people understood that bleach can contaminate any food utensil that might have a porous material!

Fill half way with hot water, add a couple tablespoons of salt, put lid back on, shake like crazy, finish filling with hot water, shake again and allow to soak for a few minutes. You can also try roopasekhar's vinegar idea but make sure the water is hot.

Great advice on Thermos Cleaning. I just used the Denture tablets, my Mom lives with me and we had plenty on hand. After just a couple hours I rinsed carafe and it was sparkling clean! Saved me from buying anything special. I'll definitely use this method in the future. Thanks for the idea. :)

July 5, 2005 Flag

The hints I received were so good on how to remove coffee stains from the lid of my thermos carafe, I now need to know how to remove the coffee smell from the thermos carafe itself. You guys are all great.

Laurie

My husband takes a thermos of coffee everyday to work. The way I remove the build up of coffee oder is to fill the thermos with hot water , and then drop in a couple of denture cleaning tablets. I let this soak over night . In the morning I pour out the fluid in the thermos and rise well a couple of times. Removes odor and leaves the thermos sparkling clean.

Try ice, preferably crushed, and comet. Swish it around for a minute or two, dump and rinse. This also works for your coffee pot. If comet scares you, although it hasn't killed me yet, try salt.

This should help with the bad taste and smell from coffee in your thermos carafe, Just fill the bottle with water, pop in four antacid tablets, and let the mix soak for an hour or so. Rinse well. Then wake up and taste the coffee. Give this a try.

if you stick to a thermos or cup with a stainless steel liner, it should be much easier to clean. i would recommend making the investment for a few bucks more as your stuff begins to wear out. until then... plastic absorbs smells so easily that, unless you're rinsing it out religiously, you're always going to get a stank on them. baking soda is my go-to for just about any smelly thing i have. super cheap it very effective!

i haven't tried the denture tablet thing on a travel mug yet, but it does really well on toilets and such for maintenance. will keep it in mind.

January 8, 2011 Flag

How do you clean the inside of a thermos carafe? It is stained with coffee.

Sheila from Boynton Beach, FL

Answers:

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

I would think a little baking soda and water would do the trick. I would put a bit in the container, place the lid back on and shake, shake, shake. Afterwards, I would empty and rinse well with hot water. A vinegar and water combo would more than likely do the trick as well.

I hope this works.

Marla

(12/30/2007)

By forgetmenotaromas

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

You could try using hot water and 1-2 denture cleaning tablets. Dissolve the tablets in the carafe, let sit overnight, then wash and rinse as usual. This works well on my thermos. (12/30/2007)

By Jean

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

When I worked at a restaurant and the coffee carafe got dirty, we filled it with Coke and let it sit for about 30mins. No scrubbing necessary! (12/30/2007)

By Londa

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

I use a Mr. Clean magic Eraser! (12/30/2007)

By carol

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

I use automatic dishwasher detergent. Before I read about this tip, I had a difficult time keeping the thermos clean. The first time I used this method, I had to soak the thermos several times to clean it. It was pretty disgusting to see how dirty it was all that time. Once a week, I sprinkle about one tablespoon of DW detergent in a stainless steel one quart thermos and add enough hot water to fill.

After putting the lid on tightly, I shake it gently and let it soak for about an hour or more. I turn it upside down for half the time to make sure both top and bottom get cleaned. Rinse thoroughly with water and let air dry upside down.

The thermos is used weekly for coffee, so during the week, I rinse it thoroughly and drain overnight.
(01/03/2008)

By Mike

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

If the baking soda and water trick doesn't work, try using slightly moistened baking soda as an abrasive and scrub using nylon net. Works for my coffee/tea cups. (01/03/2008)

By nanaverm

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

1/8 cup of bleach works great on thermos or glass carafe. As you swish it around, you can see the coffee coming off in layers until it is sparkling clean. You only need to do once a month or when it begins to stain. Rinse thoroughly with hot water. (08/08/2008)

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

When cleaning Thermos products, never use bleach or harsh detergent; a mild dishwashing liquid is sufficient. Use a damp washcloth or sponge to clean the exterior of lunchboxes or Thermos mugs, and rinse mugs after each use with warm water. If beverages have been in the mug for hours, soaking the mug for a few minutes is best to keep the mug fresh for further use.

I found this here:

http://www.gourmet.org/articles/thermos-company-products.html (11/06/2008)

By Barstow

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

I am here to tell you that my thermos was black with coffee stain. I tried baking soda, vinegar, Coca-cola, and pennies, nothing worked. Then I tried dishwasher detergent, my thermos is spotless. (12/15/2008)

By Jason

Cleaning Coffee Thermos Carafe

As most of the great scientific discoveries are accidents, this is what I found. As I usually drink white tea (which in the end leaves my thermos as dirty as it can be), once I tried Coldrex and hot water. I filled the thermos and an hour later it was perfectly shiny.

NB: messes up a tea though, so if it's your last pack and you have a nasty cold... (02/26/2009)

By Grass

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesApril 23, 2013
rinsing out a coffee pot with hot water
Cleaning a Coffee Pot
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Coffee Stain on Carpet
Removing a Coffee Stain from Carpet
cup of coffee
Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
🎄