Acclimatized Parakeets

I was privileged to photograph these little parakeets last week. It was 28 degrees! The owner has acclimatized them and keeps them outdoors year 'round. He has a heat lamp in a back enclosure, but the birds never use it. He said it's for his wife because she worries about them.

He has every color I've ever seen, and I have never seen tufted parakeets before. It was like being in heaven for a little while!

By Coreen from Rupert, ID

I thought you might like some extra info on these beautiful little birds. Although known as parakeets, their correct name is 'Budgerigah' (a native word) They are native to Australia (where I live) and in the wild, they are all green with yellow. The many different colors you see these days come from selected breeding.

When I was holidaying in outback Queensland some years ago, big whirling green flocks of them flew overhead, chattering and shrieking.It was an awesome sight.

Is it true that Australians catch and EAT these small birds which also come in slightly large varieties but look similar? : -O

Neat picture!!!

Thanks for posting!!

Nice picture on the right. Well balanced and in focus.

What lovely photos. Thanks for brightening my morning. It's a nice surprise to see these budgies in their natural environment!

In answer to Lynda's question. Lol! No Lynda, we don't catch and eat them. We are pretty civilised here in Australia, eat pretty much the same food as you in the USA..They would be pretty slim pickings. They are kept as pet and aviary birds.

Ellie.

That is so beautiful! I think they look so happy here!

Caring for Parakeets
Caring for Parakeets
Pets BirdsJanuary 3, 2007
Guide
Training a Parakeet
Training a Parakeet
🎉
🎄