Garage Door Not Opening Properly

Category Miscellaneous
Garage Door
Automatic garage doors are a great convenience, until they have problems working properly. This is a guide about garage door not working properly.

This is a guide about new garage door opener trips breaker. While many homeowners can complete easy electrical projects in their home, when problems result diagnosis can be daunting.

Newly installed garage door opener.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

"First, be sure you do have power to the garage door opener. If so, this problem is probably a bad printed circuit board inside the main power head. Circuit boards are very easy parts to replace. The entire list of circuit boards available for the Genie openers is found on our site here:" (site no longer exists)

The above description generally describes the problem I am having with my garage door opener. However, I realized that if I unplug the opener power cord and replug it to the power outlet in the ceiling, the opener would respond again. But it would fail again later on, i.e a few days later. Any clue for the real issue? If indeed it is the circuit board at fault, how do I replace or trouble shoot the circuit board? I don't have owner's manual, but I believe it is Sears.

hq4000

Answers

Best Answer

Could have something to do w/ the opener losing the "code" to make it work. No longer having the correct code to correspond from the remote to the actual opener unit. Can be reset. But if the button hard-wired to the wall doesn't operate the unit either, then I guess this wouldn't be your problem. Might help someone else, though.

Best Answer

Is the problem happening from the wall unit or just the remote control? I have a Sears garage door opener and my remote was not working. The little antenna wire that hangs down was very dusty so I wiped it off, then got up on a ladder and reset the code on the remote. It's easy, just a push of a button on the back of the unit. I went to the website and there was a troubleshooting page and this helped me out and saved me money as I had already begun to shop for a new opener!. Not sure if this is your problem, but maybe it'll help! Good luck.

I own a Genie Excelerator garage door opener. After closing the door with the car remote the door came down rather fast and now neither the remote nor the wall unit will operate the door. The sensors are fine and the lights on the wall unit as well as the overhead light are working. Any possible causes?

By Kathleen L

Answer Was this helpful? 1

It could be you need a new spring which you can't DIY. Call the manufacturer for advice if it isn't the spring they will tell you how to fix it yourself. I did and I saved a $150 service call.

Gloria

It could be the spring which is a difficult thing to replace and you'll need to call a serviceman for if. But, before you do call the manufacturer and ask what they think it could be first. If it's not the spring they will give you step by step instruction on how to fix it. Possible savings: $150. Good luck.

I have a Craftsman garage door opener from Sears. The other day I pressed the button to open the door and it went up a few feet and stopped, I pressed it again and it went back down. Now it won't go up or down. When I press the button in the garage the light goes on, but there is nothing else. The button in the car does nothing.

By Jen

Mine does that occasionally. Check to see if you have a roller wheel that is off the track. Make sure nothing is blocking the little sensor lights at the base of the track near the ground. Sometimes I cant find anything that is causing it. Release the door by pulling on the little dog leg shaped metal piece that is up high in the center of the track. Open and close the door a couple of times by hand. Then hook it up again by using button. Hopefully it will now work. This behavior just seems to be a part of the joy of having an automatic garage door opener.

Check to see if a roller is off the track. I had a similar problem and that is what caused it.

FIrst, try changing the batteries in all remotes to this door.

The door will not open all the way on the first try. It starts to open then it stops. It will go up about 12" then stops. I push the button and it will open another 12 to 15" after the 3rd try it will open all the way. It closes all the way every time?

By Ed D from Mood, CT

Can you find the company site and see if they have a Q&A page? That may be helpful. Does the door open properly if you use the switch inside the garage? Try to determine if it is the door itself or the door opener that is at fault.

We installed our Craftsman garage door opener about 2 years ago. At that time we got a new wall switch (3 button), a keypad remote, and 2 wireless remotes. This week the wall switch suddenly stopped working. The remotes and outside keypad all still work. The wall switch has a solid green light and the light button on it still operates the garage opener's light. The wall switch just won't open or close the door. We have held the lock button until it was flashing and tried locking and unlocking. We have unplugged the garage door opener and plugged back in after a minute or so in hopes of resetting but no change. My husband removed the cover of the wall switch to see if there was something obvious going on with the switch, but everything looks good. Any ideas?

By Diane C

The same thing happened to me with a Wayne Dalton wall switch. Mine operates with AAA batteries that needed changed often due to frequent use. Finally I discovered that the coil for the batteries had broken and fallen out. My garage door guy believes this to be the problem, but I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet to confirm this. Maybe check that out and Good luck.

My Genie garage door opener will not reverse direction with the push of the wall button. The button is good and the switches are good. The sequencer board is good.

From a cold start with the door down: With the first push the light comes on, but door will not move. No sound is heard. Second push: nothing as with the rest of the pushes.

After disengagement of the carriage and moving it off of the switch: First push: The door motor starts and the screw rotates in the direction of pushing the door down. Second push: stops the motor. Third push: The door motor starts and the screw rotates in the direction of pushing the door down. Yes "down" no reversal of the motor.

After replacing the sequencer board with one from an operational unit same results only it won't go down, but it will go up. Is there something in the motor that isn't reversing? Could there be an open wire between the board and the motor?

I swapped capacitors and there was no difference in either unit. Could the transformer cause this? I've checked continuity between all wires except inside the motor. They all check fine. The continuity checks the same for the part on both units' parts i.e., capacitor and transformer. The transformers are grounded. I'm at a loss.

By John

You might want to search Google to find a Genie forum, or any forum about repairs of this nature. Most of us around here are into living frugally, but not necessarily complicated repairs such as that which you describe. You obviously know quite a lot about this already, so you need to find people who know even more than you do. Some sort of DIY forum is more apt to yield answers for you, I would think. :)

When entering the code on the keypad on my small garage door, the door will not open. When entering the code for the large (two-car) door, both doors open! Both remotes work fine for each door. Everything works well on the wall unit. Any ideas?

By Donald

My belt driven garage door opener won't go up without holding the button and when I lower it jumps back up.

By Chad C.

All of a sudden my garage stopped opening and closing. My garage door button was in a area that was not accessible on the side that was in the way of my inside screen door so they put another button on the other side wall. All has been fine for the past three years until all of a sudden my another side button did not work, but the wrong side did now and then my auto clicker stopped as well. Can you please help, thank you in some way.

By Guy from SC

Can someone help troubleshoot? Our Sears garage door opener has been going up by itself without anyone pushing the remote or wall buttons. Also, when we tried to open door one day it would go up part way and come right back down. I was finally able to get our car in the garage, but now am afraid I won't be able to get it out without the door coming down on the car.

Joan from Billings, MT

Answers:

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

We sold our 3-bedroom home this past June and we had a Sears garage door opener. At times we had some similar problems. The garage door opener has an antenna that receives a signal when you press the remote control. You might have to make an adjustment by raising or lowering the antenna.

Give that a try before calling the repair service. (01/15/2009)

By MCW

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

I just had to call service man as door only went down about a foot. The problem was it needed oil and greasing. It now works fine. Maybe this can help you. (01/16/2009)

By Doris G.

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

I had the exact same set of symptoms. It was a loose wire or short in the wall button. (01/16/2009)

By ChloeA

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

We have a Sears garage opener and from time to time it does exactly the same thing. Each time it has been that the little door sensor down by the floor. Someone keeps bumping it somehow which dislodges the tiny wires that go into it. All I do is tell that someone and "he" puts the wires back in. Also, ours has a cord that you pull up by the motor at the ceiling that allows you to open the door manually in case of emergency. You could always pull that cord which releases the auto mechanism and then just open by hand. Watch pinching your fingers though. Been there and done that. (01/17/2009)

By themuffster

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

Check for cobwebs around the electric eyes. Check and see if the electrical plug is all the way in the outlet. I have had both of these things to happen and had to pay service call. (01/18/2009)

By beautiful1234

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

Check the electric eyes on both sides of the door opening, at the bottom, and see if cobwebs or debris is covering over them. Also check the electrical plug and see if it is plugged all the way in or is working loose. Save that service call, that I had to pay for both of these issues. (01/18/2009)

By Beautiful1234

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

Are there any new homes or neighbors in your area? Believe it or not my garage door opener would trigger my neighbors door if I pushed the button as I approached my driveway. We finally discovered that we had both used the same code, our zipcode, for our combination. Just a thought. (01/18/2009)

By snail

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

Those wheels and tracks need to be lubricated every three months. (03/03/2009)

By mountainbrd

Our garage door will only go about half way up then stop. We can use the button on the wall in the garage, but you have to stand there and hold it in rather than just push it and go. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can try to fix this? Thanks!

Klutzymama from Indiana

Answers:

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

My garage door has a hand lever on the bar in the middle part of the door (top part). It might help (if you have this) to pull this lever down. It may clear the jam. I am not an expert at this, but mine did the same thing, and this worked. Good Luck. (09/25/2008)

By GrandmaFrances

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

The door probably is not tracking properly. See if it favors one side or the other when it stops. Sometimes it can be pried over to the center again and will operate okay for a while. Usually the spring adjustment can correct this. Try resetting the overload switch to a higher setting also. (09/26/2008)

By bobdog

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

The door appears not to be tracking correctly. One other place you may look is the pulleys. The center hole will become oval over time and the pulley is turning out of round which can cause the problem you describe. If that is the case, the pulleys should be replaced. You can buy pulleys at Home Depot or Lowe's if you want to do it yourself. Other than that, you may want to call in a garage door guy. They are listed in the yellow pages.
(09/26/2008)

By Harry