A Fluorescent Bulb for your Garage Door Opener

If you have to constantly replace the light bulbs in your garage door opener, use a fluorescent bulb(s) instead of an incandescent bulb(s). The vibration from the garage door opening and closing often causes the filament of incandescent bulbs to break.

Fluorescent bulbs are much more durable, but they are initially more expensive. However, they quickly pay for themselves in two ways: 1) they use fewer watts than incandescent bulbs, so they save you money on your electric bill. 2) They last incredibly longer than incandescent bulbs so you won't be buying them nearly as often.

By Ben J.

Editor's Note: Great idea! I have been using one in my living room lamp for 4 years. I've only replaced the bulb once. I know I would have gone through a lot of incandescent bulbs in that amount of time.

I had the same trouble with light bulbs in my ceiling fans. I switched over to fluorescents and have not had to change a bulb in over 2 years.

Harlean from Arkansas

I tried using a fluorescent bulb with my Craftsman garage door opener, but it simply would not light up. An incandescent bulb would. Anybody knows why would a good fluorescent bulb not work with a Craftsman garage door opener?

CFL's should not be used in an area where they are switched on and off in short periods of time. IE: like in a bathroom or closet. I would also thing that it would not be smart to use them in a garage door opener, since the light normally comes on when operating the door and stays one for a relative short period of time there after. In the garage door I use a LED lamp. The lifespan of the led light is 30,000 hours or more than 20.4 years being lit 6 hours a day. LED lights a very energy efficient producing 45-50 watts of brightness using less than 11 watts of energy. Sure they are not as cheap as a CLF or standard bulb. I paid $49.00 but when figuring the savings in energy costs the standard bulb cost $0.27 per month and the led cost a fraction of that $ 0.07 per month a savings of $0.20 per month. Isn't a lot of savings per month, but it all adds up in the longer run. I have over 27 lights in the house. If you run you light about 8 hours at a time the cost would be about $0.36 per bulb a month or $0.09 per month. A saving of $0.27 per month.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Lighting and ElectricSeptember 29, 2005
Compact Fluorescent Bulb
Buying and Using Compact Fluorescent Bulbs
Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb
Disposing of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Garage Door Remote Opener
Garage Door Remote Opener Not Working
Garage Door Opener
Reusing a Garage Door Opener
🎄