Quick Decorating Fix

I need a quick fix. We just moved into an old house. I promised my son I would decorate his room. He's 7. I start a new job in four days. I have an 18 month also. So I have to do something while she's in daycare. It will take too long to paint. I need some ideas. Please help!

Editor's Note: We posted a request for Jenny yesterday but misunderstood what advice she was looking for. Sorry Jenny!

Jenny from NC

Hi Jenny, I'm not sure what kind of stuff your son is interested in as you didn't specify but if it's something like cars or outer space etc. you could maybe pop up a few posters for a quick fix. Perhaps you could buy some large picture frames and use comics or magazines and cut out pictures of cars or planets or whatever he's into and let him help you make up picture collages and stick cut-out pics to the outside of the frame also. Let him get involved in making these decorations too. I once did my son's room up like the inside of a space ship, his walls were a pale blue/gray and i stuck up some navy wallpaper on a portion of one wall to look like a window and bought a cheap wallpaper border and cut out planets and astronauts and satellites etc and stuck them randomly as if you were viewing outer space! He loved it. You can add to the theme when you have more time...but I think pictures or posters would be the quickest fix. Wallpaper borders are great as you can cut out the figures in them and customize a lot of furniture etc. Hope this helps :)

Something that I did for my son is to make him a special bulletin board. This way he can pin up what ever he wants to on it. He is really into whales and dolphins. I purchased material that looked like waves at Walmart and covered the cork board. I also purchased material that had dolphins and whales on it that I cut out and glued to the board for added decoration. I also used some of the cut out animals and made a mobile type hanging decoration to hang above his dresser. As already suggested I used the wallpaper border around the top of his walls. I made some cut outs of that also and stuck them on his dresser drawers to give that a new look.

You could buy toy airplanes at the dollar store and hang them from the ceiling, Big lots has paint most of the time you could buy white paint and take a sponge or wadded up paper and dip it in the paint then use it to apply clouds on the ceiling and walls or there are one wall size posters you can buy that is scenery like rocket view in space or ocean etc. or you can paint only one or two of the walls a very bright color(again big lots sales very small cans of bright red, blue etc paint. One thing my son loved and still remembers is when I made him an "office" out of his closet, it was a very small closet but i put in a little table and chair and put pictures on the wall a play phone etc and a trash can, and he thought he was a very important guy with his own office. Good luck.

I like the idea of posters...but instead of buying frames, Paint "frames" around the posters in colors that will co-ordinate with bedding, furniture colors, etc. The painted faux frames don't have to be perfect. In fact, done freehand, they will appear even more whimsical and creative !

I just redid my daughters room by using the now popular wall stickers.. you can get them for just about any theme. (We did butterflies and Girls rules signs with flowers, but I've seem everything from that to outerspace to movies themes. I even found letter so I put her name on the doorJust pick a theme he likes. I like it cause they peel off without damaging the walls when the kid likes something new a year from now. That plus new sheets and comforter and curtians to match (You can make easy curtians to match the sheets if you just buy extra sheets of the same pattern.)

It only took me a day to redo her room and she LOVES it...

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Kids SpaceOctober 26, 2005
A picture of the Eiffel Tower.
Decorating a Room With a Paris Theme
Fall decoration with pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn.
Decorating with Pumpkins
Fondant cake.
Decorating Cakes With Fondant
Feng Shui Decorating, Feng Shui Decorating
Feng Shui Decorating