AdviceGardening

Growing an Asparagus Fern

Question:

How do you get asparagus ferns to sprout fronds? I have one that has exactly four fronds. It's been this way for years.

Marilyn from Indian Orchard, MA

Answer:

Marilyn, Asparagus ferns are pretty forgiving when placed in most environments. A lack of growth in any houseplant can usually be attributed to one of two things - either a lack of light or improper watering. Asparagus ferns are adaptable to lower light conditions, but you may end up sacrificing new growth because of their tolerance. The same can be said for dry soil conditions. When conditions are kept on the dry side, plants will usually remain status quo.

To stimulate new growth, try placing plants in bright (not direct) sunlight. Water them regularly from spring until fall (sparingly in winter). If it has been a while since yours has been repotted, you may also want to move it to a new pot with some fresh soil. As we get closer to spring, start feeding a water-soluble organic liquid fertilizer once a month. Watch for leaves starting to yellow. This is usually a sign that either your fern is getting too much light, or too much water.

Good luck!

Ellen

I am not certain if this tip works with asparagus ferns but who knows. Male and female. I had a spider plant that never grew babies. One of my friends said that the plant may be male. (yeah right!) What I was told to do was to get a baby from someone elses plant and plant it in the same pot as my own spider. Within a very short time, my plant sprouted so many babies.

It needs to be in a small pot. They do better if they are a little pot-bound.

Mine literally grow like weeds. They like to be neglected!

My husband makes his own beer. After he racks off the clear part, there is a sediment left in the bottom. When we had an asparagus fern, he used to feed it to "Grandfather." Within three days there was such a growth spurt that we had to keep trimming Grandfather back. I would assume from this that feeding heavily pays off. Hope this helps.

I live in NE PA and I found that if I put my (many) asparagus ferns outside on a covered porch--mine is north facing, I am rewarded with incredible growth and many fronds. I also water and feed heavily while they are outside. I use a garden hose. Good luck.