Craft Project: Easter Mobile

Sometimes everyday items become so "every day" that one doesn't take notice of them. It recently dawned on me that I use many items that have lids. I began to save them and in less than a week, I had a bag full. It struck me that they would make great frames for photos and already came in several different colors.

Approximate Time: Approx. 2 hours

• assortment of lids
  • yarn or string
  • ribbon and beads
  • ring hanger for top
  • photos or drawings
  • cardboard
  • double backed tape
  • foam sheets

1. You will need a larger lid for the top of the mobile. I used the flip up type from baby wipes and cut off the flip up piece.

2. Punch 4 holes in side of lid, directly across from each other. Then punch 4 holes on the top, centered between the side holes.

3. Cut 4 pieces of yarn the same length. These will be what the mobile hangs from at the top.

4. Insert one piece through each hole on side of lid. Slide bead on and knot on inside of lid.

5. Slide a bead on each piece and bring all 4 up. Tie a knot with all 4 pieces, being sure they are the same length.

6. Slide a large bead on and knot again above bead.

7. Slip a ring on (I used a ring for keys) and knot so it holds above the large bead.

8. Cut 4 long pieces of yarn. Insert each up through a hole in the lid and knot a bead on the top.

9. Each lid is a different weight so you will have to judge what length they will need to hang from. If you see that you need more weight on one, just add another lid or beads until the mobile hangs evenly, such as I did.

10. Poke a hole through the side of each lid (I used the tip of a metal compass for this).

If you are going to make a double frame, you will need to punch a hole on each side of a lid so another can be attached.

11. Use lids to trace template for cardboard and photos.

12. Attach photos to cardboard inserts using double backed tape. Insert photo into each lid also using double backed tape.

13. Pull string on each hanging piece through holes on lid and knot a bead to hold.

14. You can back the lids with a circle of felt.

15. I chose to make mine look like flowers and just cut simple shapes from foam sheets and attached to back of each lid using double backed tape. I also drew detail lines on with foamie paint tubes.

16. I attached ribbon to the sides of the lids using double backed tape and added some bows to the sides of the top lid.

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

Is there nothing safe around you? It just goes to show the rest of us, a little creative thinking goes a long way. Inspirational to say the least!

What a great and original way to display photos! I may take your idea and create some magnets for the fridge or make a collage on the wall using various jar lids. Ooh going on the flower theme, maybe get or make a flower pot with picture flowers popping out. Thanks for this. Now my mind is racing with new ideas!

You have created very beautiful chimes using the waste material. I will also try to make this. We can try different shapes also instead of making it circular.

Bleach Bottle Bunny Craft
Recycled Easter Craft Ideas
Photos CraftsApril 15, 2011
Easter Centerpiece
Easter Centerpiece Ideas
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
Easter Chicken Craft
Easter Craft Ideas
Easter Crafts for Kids
Easter Crafts for Kids