Get Exercise With a Walk Behind Mower

Like most of us, I have some extra weight that I've had trouble getting off. I can't afford the cost of a gym, and even if I could, I probably wouldn't go. I know walking is a great form of exercise, but in my area it's awfully hard because there are a lot of dogs running loose (not strays either) and many of them will chase you down.

The last time I tried to go for a walk, a huge Rottweiller came at me. If a friend hadn't happened along at that time and offered me a ride, I'd have been lunch meat!

So I came up with a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone! My house sits on 1-3/4 acres and I used to just hop on the old riding mower and get the grass cut. This year I decided to start using the walk-behind mower. Mine is self-propelled so doesn't take much effort. But following that thing around the yard gives me a good workout!

Since my yard is so big, I do it in 3 sections. I mow every other day, doing one section at a time. That way not only do I get my exercise, but my grass stays mowed too!

The only thing that I use the rider for now, is with the lawn sweeper to pick up leaves in the spring and fall!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

I do the same thing, I will be 70 this fall so I figure the exercise does me good. My lot is a 1/2 a city block deep so I get a good workout too! I do mine in 3 increments too, especially when it is so hot.

Get one of those old-fashioned push mowers, that will REALLY give you a workout! And when the blades get dull, you can buy a lawn mower blade sharpening tool at the hardware store.

Yay! Excellent tip. My hubby, at nearly 76, does the yard, because our large dogs leave nasty little surprises for me if I venture out there. I get in my exercise by vacuuming. Our new vacuum isn't too heavy, but takes some effort to maneuver. I work up a good sweat, and cut down on grime at the same time. We all have to have our sneaky little ways of getting exercise. :D

We also use a walk behind mower and I agree, it's good exercise.

I try to walk for 30 minutes every day. During the hot summer months after it cools off at the end of the day, I walk my circle around the back yard. It takes me one minute to complete the circle. It is so convenient to just walk out the door and exercise in the safety of our own back yard.

While walking, I listen to music and sometimes books on tape from the library. It keeps the walk from being boring and the time just slips right on by.

For me, getting outside and walking is much more fun than walking the treadmill even if it's walking behind a mower.

People Exercising
Finding Time To Exercise
Health & Beauty FitnessApril 6, 2010
Couple Stretching on Grass
Saving Money On Fitness
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Mowing With Weed Wacker
Mowing a Lawn Without a Mower
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
🎄
🍂