Pork Chops Buried in Dressing

contest winner icon

Buried beneath a layer of delicious sage dressing, you'll find tender pork chops, seasoned and browned first in a heavy skillet. Served with just a tossed salad or maybe an English Pea Salad, it is a wonderful and tasty meal. Good for big family dinners as well as holiday specials.

• 8 pork chops
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup shortening*
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 8 cups bread cubes**
  • 1 whole egg
  • Ad
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped celery (leaves OK)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. ground dried sage
  • 2 cups boiling water***

*Today I would substitute olive oil for the shortening as it's much healthier.

**Bread cubes would have been leftover biscuits and baked corn bread as well as any crusts or ends of homemade yeast breads. Nothing like that was ever wasted.

***Today I would add only 1 cup water and substitute a can of cream of chicken soup (undiluted) for the other cup of water.

Directions:

Heat shortening (or olive oil) in a large cast iron skillet. Mix salt and pepper in with the flour. Dip the pork chops in the flour mixture, shake to remove excess flour and brown in the hot skillet.

Remove chops from the skillet and place in the bottom of a lightly buttered baking pan.

Combine the bread cubes, egg, chopped onion, celery salt, pepper, ground sage, and boiling water (and soup if using).

Pour the mixture evenly over the chops. Bake in a preheated 325 degrees F oven for 1 hour. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving (I'm not sure just why it needed to sit, but since Miss Etta wrote it, that's what I do.)

Servings: 8
Time:30 Minutes Preparation Time
60 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My dear friend, Miss Etta. This is a very old-fashioned recipe and most likely came from a weekly newspaper in the UP area of Michigan back in the 1920's. Miss Etta would bake a beautiful large turkey at Thanksgiving and again at Christmas, but never stuffed it with "stuffing". She'd always make the "Pork Chops Buried in Dressing" in a huge baking pan, and we'd all kinda stir around in the dressing to be sure we "found" a pork chop to go with the rest of an already lavish meal. Of course, there were always enough pork chops to serve everyone, but it was fun to watch the guys as they kept their eyes on the other fellas to make sure they didn't get 2 pork chops. :-)

The last big family meal she prepared on earth was a Thanksgiving Dinner for 18, and she and her hubby did it all by themselves. She was already 90 years old. A truly amazing and beautiful lady.

By pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

This recipe is one that my entire family would love whether it was the healthy version or the original version. If I understand it correctly, you only use the shortening or olive oil to fry the chops in, right? A nice hearty family meal.

Thanks Julia, Songwriter

Sounds better than turkey now. I think we ate too much turkey last year before I went back to work. No matter which meat you put with the dressing, we're always going to want the jellied cranberry sauce with it. Yummmmm.

Thanks for sharing another great recipe. MisMachado

Our boys love pork chops, and will eat them anyway their dad cooks them. This is a great Sunday

meal to try. Maybe with a green bean casserole. Everything in the oven at the same time while we play with the Wii games.

I get the best ideas here on ThriftyFun.

Thank you to pookarina.

My husband would be in "Hubby Heaven" as he

calls it when I cook something he really likes.

He is going to love this.

Lee

For Songwriter...Yes, only use the oil for pan browning the pork chops. No oil in the dressing. Just

butter the pan or casserole dish.

For WiggleWorm...If your family will eat the Green Pea (English Pea, we call them) Salad, I think you

will like it better than the GreenBean Casserole with

the Pork Chops and Dressing. It just seems to go

better with something cool. :-)

For Lee...My husband calls it "Little Pig Heaven" :-)

Thanks for feedback everyone.

Julia

1 word. Yum!

Just the kind of food my bunch of hungry teenagers need and expect. It's still pretty cold up here in MN, so we can cook this way almost all year long.

Thank you.

StarWarsCollector

I look forward to trying this recipe!! Thanks for sharing! Ü

This is a great recipe. It is so easy and the pork chops are so tender.

Do you use boneless or bone in also how thick are chops cant wait to try!

Good recipe, but these are the changes I would make, increase celery and onion and saute it first in a little butter. I used a can of cream of chicken soup, and added about 1.5 cups of chicken broth. Thought it was really good.

Baked Pork Chop
Baked Pork Chop Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Meats Pork Pork ChopsMay 11, 2010
Pork Chops and Rice
Pork Chops and Rice Recipes
Petunias growing outside.
Growing Annuals in Pots Buried in the Ground
Pork Chops with Gravy
Pork Chops with Gravy Recipes
pork chops with apple compote
Apple Pork Chops Recipes
🎉
🎄