Dog With a Hurt Toenail

My neighbors dog was jumping down off of something and its toenail snagged. It has been slightly pulled out and is bleeding. They do not have the money to take her to a vet. The dog does not want anybody touching it and will not walk on it or put it down.

Deb from Gastonia, NC

Best Answer

Yes, it sounds like it may already be infected from your description of the dog's behavior. I would ask a vet, maybe you could find one that would treat your dog 'on a sliding scale', that is, setting a fee for his/her services depending on your income level.

Best Answer

First see if they can wash the area, call the vet and talk to them, most often they will tell you what to do over the phone. It could be peroxide and water will prevent an infection. Don't delay, infections can lead to much more, I know.

I would call a vet or the humane society and see if they can offer any advice.

thank you

PLEASE urge them to take the dog to the vet. This is not a situation for "home" treatments. Many vets will offer discounted services. Or the dog's owners can check with the local SPCA for low cost/free services. As dog owners, they are legally responsible for the health and wellbeing of their animal. My parents' cat had the same issue, and had an extremely deep infection that could have led to amputation or death if it wasn't treated. I'm sure you can help these owners do the right thing and help their dog be pain-free. If not, they are liable by law, and should be reported for neglect.