Cleaning a Paperback Book

I have a newer book, new within the last ten years, and I'm wondering if I can restore the condition of the book without destroying it. Are there any Thriftyfun tips out there to clean a soiled paperback book that also has creased pages and cover?

I have read about putting fabric sheets between the pages to remove a moldy smell. If anyone has feedback on that tip, please provide. Thank you!

By abc8xyz

Answers

Sometimes you can use a slightly damp cloth on the outside of the paperback to remove dirt and grime. I have used Goo Gone Extreme for glue residue and marker residue. It needs to be tested on an inconspicuous area though as it can take the ink off or mar certain surfaces. I have used clear packing tape to strengthen creases, but be aware that after 5-10 years the tape may dry and crack.

The fabric sheets may work, I don't know, but sometimes laying the book out in the sun on a day when you know it's not going to rain will kill the mildewy smell. If it's very bad, I would forget it and buy a new book on ebay.

Good luck