Making Rice Pudding with 1% Milk

I made rice pudding recently but used 1% milk and it did not turn out particularly creamy. Could it be the milk? Must I use whole milk for it to be creamy? I think I got the recipe from this site.

Rose from Malvern, PA

I make my rice pudding with evaporated milk. Yes, I think it could be the milk.

Yes, it is the milk so next time you need to either add more rice or cut back on amount of milk. To fix this batch you could drain off some of liquid or slow cook the liquid off of it being careful not to burn it. Good luck d

You might also want to try using some fat-free half & half.

I make my rice pudding with skim milk and it's very creamy.

WOW...several different suggestions. Isn't it the fat that makes it creamy so using fat free 1/2 & 1/2 or skim milk doesn't make sense to me. Glenn's Mom..do you use all evaporated milk. Perhaps some recipes would be helpful. I'll just try a few different recipes. We love rice pudding.

There is a new milk product on the market, Land O Lakes has it. It is a creamier version of the 1% and 2%. I don't care for the creamy texture but in cooking it might be great. It is almost 2x the price of regular milk.

I use 1% for everything. Just use a longer slower cooking time and be careful not to scorch it. It will cream up together.

Or try the fat free half and half. It would be like using a sweetened butter milk (no fat). Lots of recipes call for using carnation evaporated milk product. You can use the skim version of that for rice pudding.

Thanks Judi for sending your recipe. I might even try making it tonight.

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceFebruary 10, 2009
Pudding Made With Leftover Rice
Making Rice Pudding With Leftover Rice
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
🎄
🍂