Thinking of Moving to Greeneville Tennessee

My husband and I are tired of Northern Indiana. We are sick of the cold, cold winters and the boring landscape. We want to move to Tennessee. We are looking at a town called Greeneville. Does anyone in the TF community live in or near there? Can you give me pros and cons? What does this area have, what does it lack, crime rate, safety, weather, thrift stores, library system, job market, etc. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

By thriftyboo from Northern IN

I don't live anywhere near there, but the first thing will be to write to their chamber of commerce (or contact them via email) and tell them the same things. See if they have a 'visitors bureau' for extra info, and contact the local newspaper, ask if you can buy several back issues, or get a short term subscription (our community only has a weekly newspaper, so I don't know what size town that is, and how many papers they may have).

You could also ask at the chamber of commerce if they have a local city map. Some towns make one with ads from local businesses, to give you an idea of the size, what is avail there, etc.

We moved to Tenn/Ky 14 years ago from Florida. We have never regretted it. Tenn/Ky has to be the closest thing to heaven!

Why don't you Google Greeneville, TN? You will find everything you want to know about the city.

Go here for crime history:

for weather history:

I stumbled across this site looking for info on Tampa. Good luck. Be wise!

Hi, thriftyboo,

The best site I can suggest is You will need to register (but no problems from doing that). You can check on any city; lots of information is available (racial demographics, climate, economics, school systems, local radio & TV stations) and a lot of less common information (like the number of people in nursing homes and jails). Very interesting site! When you've registered, you can go to the forum for that area and ask questions once you have basic information.

Good luck!

Nancy in NC

Before you consider moving there, you should at least vacation at different times of the year to see if you like the weather, etc. We moved from northern Ohio to Arkansas, and while we got away from some severe winters, we were not prepared for the extremely hot, humid summers and the summer droughts. We also traded snow for ice storms and now live in tornado country. Until we moved south, I'd never seen poisonous spiders, scorpions, ticks, chiggers, or many poisonous snakes. I'm not saying I'm sorry that we moved, but things are very different from what we were used to.

I live in Bristol TN, maybe less than an hour from Greeneville. I don't know Greeneville itself, but grew up here (NE TN) and returned in 2001 after 40 years off.

Employment is almost non-existent and you'd be competing with people already established. Industry is shutting down, not coming in. Unless you have specialized skills or are self-employed in a job you can do anywhere. The answer citing city-state data sounds like a good one to check for hard info, also the Dept. of Labor Statistics. That's Greene County in TN, I bet, and if you find the County address from the State of TN website you can most likely find all sorts of useful hard far as soft info, Greenville is rural and not close to large cities...I am 2 hours away from Asheville NC, and I think Greenville 's probably the same. It's rural, calm, Bible-belt Southern with less traffic than you'll find a lot of places...fewer wide highways, too. Hope this has been of some help. P.S. Bristol has a NASCAR track with races twice a year if that helps.

Travel and Recreation TravelAugust 18, 2009
Older Cat
Moving an Older Cat
Alabama Sign
Moving to Alabama
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Tennessee Christmas Charities
Fog Rolling Through the Smokey Mountains
Tennessee Frugal Travel Information and Photos