Use Recycled Gatorade Bottles in Packed Lunches

I finally found a reusable plastic bottle that you can pack in a lunch that won't leak. I washed our used Gatorade bottles by hand and filled them with water. (My son adds powdered drink mix.) You can tip them any which way and they don't leak. I checked the Gatorade website and they assured us the plastic will not leach into the beverage. If you put the bottles in the dishwasher the heat will shrink the bottle and the seal won't be tight enough to work, so be sure to wash them by hand.

By Lindainthekitchen from Weirton, WV

I've reused many bottles for my daughters' lunchboxes, but they often lose the top, or they start leaking, or they accidently toss them away! The one that works the best so far and is the best size is a honey pop-top bottle that is shaped like a hive. The pop-top doesn't leak, and the plastic is very flexible. I've been trying to cut back the sugars in drinks, and they won't barely drink water (too plain) and milk just doesn't stay cold. So I've been making Crystal light lemonade and lemon iced tea in a pitcher--it uses nutrasweet, but for some reason the 'lemon' flavor masks the usual icky taste. Albertson's sells their generic version, and it's even cheaper, or Wyler's brand. Then I only have to fill it from the pitcher to the bottle, and it tastes good even warm--and it gets drunk up totally, no sugar, and weirdly, it's not even sticky, as it's not real sugar. I don't worry about the bit of nutrasweet once a day--think of all the chemicals in other stuff, and we homemake almost everything else that goes into the lunch!

Be wary of re-using plastic bottles, as they contain a chemical called bisphenol-a which is a known toxin linked to hormone imbalances and other severe problems. If possible, find a glass bottle that is reusable.

We use a Kleen Kanteen every day. It doesn't leach things into her drink, it has a wide mouth so we can add ice that then melts down (we've determined the ice to water ratio that makes the drink palatable by lunchtime) and we don't have excess water bottles floating around. The cost is worth the usage, when you're talking about lunch everyday. I use one to bring my beverages to work.