Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Crafts for Mentally Challenged Adults

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Adult painting a picture with watercolors.

Finding crafts that are easy enough and at the same time engaging enough for mentally challenged adults can be daunting, as there will be many different skills levels. This is a guide about crafts for mentally challenged adults.

Here are questions related to Crafts for Mentally Challenged Adults.

Question: Adapting the Making of a Quilt for Developmentally Disabled Adults

I would like to do a quilt project with a group of developmentally disabled adults. I have been able to adapt the process for how to use a pattern, cut out the pattern pieces, etc., but I really need a way for them to sew it semi-independently.

I'm looking for a way to make an inexpensive "guide" for the fabric seam so that the seam stays straight even if the individual cannot hold it in place or lets go by mistake. I have seen those sticky strips of orange plastic, but I really need something higher that won't accidentally slip under the foot and be sewn on. These strips are also very short and would require constant replacing. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

By Lisa

Most Recent Answer

By Paulette Gulakowski [7]12/10/2012

I don't know if this would work, but maybe you could try double sided mounting tape (foam kind). It's about an 16th of an inch thick and you could lay it on the fabric in line beside proposed stitching.

Second idea: tape the mounting tape in layers on the machine to run the edge of the fabric against as they sew. Good Luck! I used to work with developmentally disabled adults with physical disabilities. Believe me, I had to figure out many adaptions!

Question: Crafts for Mentally Challenged Individuals

I work with people that are mentally retarded and am looking for simple to hard crafts intended for them. Does any one know of a sight that may be available out there to help me?

By lee298

Most Recent Answer

By Lee Werner07/18/2009

I don't care for the use of the "r" word, either, unless it is used in its true context which it seems in this case it is/was. Society has, unfortunately, put the stigma on the word.

But I, too, am the mother of a wonderful young man who happens to have autism and am a special education teacher as well, and I have to say that the big letter introduction by the grandfather at www.zacbrowser.com using "suffering from... autism" is offensive as well. I typically use "lives with autism" or "endures autism" or "happens to have autism".

As for crafts, Discount School Supply (.com) has a lot of good craft items and kits: http://tinyurl.com/nxneq3 I particularly like the picture frames that can be decorated as they seem to be favorites of children and adults as well. They also have a blog for persons working with people with challenges and many excellent resources and links. Sending blessings to all.

Solutions: Crafts for Mentally Challenged Adults

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!