Plan Meals in Advance to Save Grocery Money

The number one way I save money on my groceries is menu planning. I write out what we will have for dinner the whole week, make up the grocery list, and add to it any necessity items such as toilet paper, detergent, etc. Sticking to the list has helped me a lot in saving money buying items I don't really need that week or giving in to temptation buying things that look good, but most likely won't get used. I have cut my grocery bill by almost 40 to even 50 dollars a week by doing this. Give it a try!

By Debbie from Fisher, IL

I like to do that too. What helps me save even more is if I base my menus on what our grocery store (we only have one) has on sale each week. If something is a REALLY good price, I will buy extra and freeze it, or put it in the pantry if it isn't perishable.

This is great advice. I do pretty much the same thing EXCEPT I use a weekly menu for two weeks so simply double-up on everything I need. I usually have a quick visit to the supermarket on the second week for fresh items only e.g. milk. Everything I can freeze to carry me through, I do.

Also many of the meals I cook (e.g. stew, chili con carne, chicken curry, etc) I will cook up in double-batches.

We eat half on the first week and the other half goes into a freezer (& microwave) container for a quick and easy meal the second week. I get quite a few 'cooking-free' nights this way, sometimes just having to quickly rustle up some rice for accompaniment! I love that :)

I also buy detergent, loo-rolls, pet-food, etc in bulk so don't buy those so often either. I find these work out much cheaper in bulk at Big W, rather than in smaller packaging at the supermarket (I'm in Aus). Plus I stock up on any toiletries we use when I see them on special. It's good not having to pay full price when you run out.

Many staples I will buy in the store's own brand or generic but on a few I will stick to tried and tested favorites. It can be hit and miss with store-brands but you should always give them a try at least once...they're much cheaper!

Yup guys, I do the same thing. I learned this from my mother. I make a menu of 5-7 meals, 4 of the menu meals will be of chicken. I plan my menu on a calendar I print from my pc and label each meal A,B,C, etc leaving a description key at the bottom to remind me of what meal each letter stands for. I buy for the entire month at the market (e.g. I'll have each meal at least 2 or 3 times that month so thats how much I'll buy). I buy the boneless chicken breast frozen in bulk, I get so many uses out of it and I will post them later. I buy toilet paper and paper towels in bulk. Fabric softener I buy a big bottle and pour 1/2 of it into the last empty bottle and fill both up the rest of the way w/water and it still works great. Yes I agree that when u shop from a menu you save because you already know what you're eating for the week, month, etc. I too freeze mostly everything. when I come home from the market I even prepare my foods for the month, cooking some things and freezing them which makes life super, duper easy.

A paper with fields to write all the meals for a week.
Planning Meals
Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingJanuary 30, 2008
A paper bag of groceries.
Saving Money on Groceries
house fire
Making a Fire Escape Plan for Your Family
Freezing Bread Dough
Freezing Bread Dough
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores