Ice Maker Not Working

By greg 1

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator. After 2 months, when I push the ice dispenser tab the motor to push ice is on, but not pushing ice out.

Sometimes I hear noise in back of the ice bin, but no motion for ice propeller to push ice out. Could it be that the motor is bad? I had checked the between the prop and the motor, seems fine. Any suggestions before repair guy called for $60 to come out?

By Greg from Bemus

Showing: ArchivesSorted By: Relevance

Comment

Archive: Ice Machine Not Working

My refrigerator ice machine has not made ice since our water was shut off to fix a broken sprinkler head out in our yard. It seems to go through the motions of making ice but we do not get any cubes! Could it be air in the line and if so, does anyone know how I can get the water through without flooding my house?
Thanks!

Mara in Texas

Answers:

RE: Ice Machine Not Working

From what I've read it might be water frozen in the line. If it sounds like it is trying to make ice but none comes out, it's very possibly a little ice in the line. You could try turning off the refrigerator for a few hours and see if it clears. I don't know if the tubes are visible but you could take a hair dryer to just the tubes to speed up the process. If there is ice frozen into the tube, that would help to clear it. Another thing it could be is a clogged water filter. If the ice making just slowed down over time (which I realize is not the case with yours Mara), it could be that. (08/27/2004)

By Susan

RE: Ice Machine Not Working

Here's a tip I found... I am not sure the response makes sense to me but maybe it will to you.

Whirlpool Fridge Icemaker Not Working

I have a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator/freezer with icemaker and water dispenser. The icemaker stopped working, but ice dispenser and the water dispenser in the door still work fine. I was told that most likely the problem was the electric valve controlling the water flow to the icemaker. I have a dual coil valve. I checked the resistance across both coils. It reads 300 ohms for both. I understand that this is the normal range, and indicates that the valve may not be the problem. What else could the problem be and how can I troubleshoot it.

Answer...

If you suspect a valve , you could manually fill the icemaker mold with water to see if it harvests ice, if there is no water coming into the icemaker the plunger in the water inlet valve may be stuck and electrically the valve is OK. You might be able to rebuild the valve. If after the water freezes in the icemaker and it doesn't harvest make sure the shutoff arm is operating the switch inside the icemaker by lifting the arm up and down and listening for a click. If that doesn't help you can have any number of problems in the icemaker.

http://www.handymanusa.com/questions/refrigeratorq.html (08/27/2004)

By Anne H.

RE: Ice Machine Not Working

Here's some info from frigidaire, not sure what you guys are using.

Not making any ice.

Freezer may not be cold enough. Temperature must be 5 F. or colder to work properly.

Water supply valve may be blocked or restricted. Supply valve must have a 1/4" opening for water to fully supply ice maker. Many self-piercing valves do not have this big of an opening. Replace water supply valve with one that has a 1/4" opening.

Water supply valve may not be open. Find the supply valve and open.

Wire signal arm on ice maker is in the up position. This position shuts off the ice maker. Pull wire arm (bail arm) down to start ice making.

http://www.frigidaire.com/FAQ-Refrigerator.asp#5

By Anne H.

RE: Ice Machine Not Working

Last but not least, do you have the manual for the fridge? I bet they have some troubleshooting. If you don't still have it find the website for the manufacturer and they should have downloads of manuals and maybe even some FAQ like frigidaire had. (08/27/2004)

By Anne H.

RE: Ice Machine Not Working

I had this problem with my freezer a while back. A friend told me to use your hair dryer on the connection; this dissolves any blockage in the line. Try it & good luck. It worked wonders for me & no charge for a repair man to come to the house. (08/30/2004)

By Rosalie Shoeman

Archive: Ice Maker Not Working

Our Frigidaire icemaker quit working and we can't afford another one. Any suggestions? We had installed a new filter about 10 days earlier.

Elizabeth from Hart, Michigan

Feedback:

RE: Ice Maker Not Working

I turned my water off to replace a faucet and fix a water line and my ice maker in my Whirlpool side by side quit working too. I got the blow dryer out, took about five min. and my ice maker is working again! Thanks for the help! (03/02/2007)

By Lynn

RE: Ice Maker Not Working

I have a Whirlpool Gold side-by-side and its ice maker stopped working. I tried lowering the temperature and I checked the little black spigot thing for ice, but neither helped. I couldn't figure it out until I removed the ice maker. When I did, I found that it was a broken tab that held on the ejector gear (see www.repairclinic.com for diagrams).

To fix it I tried super glue, but that didn't work. Turns out super glue loses all strength in the freezer. Next I tried some glue I had left over from putting sprinkler pipes together. That held, but just barely, so finally I used a little ball of glue putty like a cap on the end of the tabs. That worked and I now have ice again.

I recommend taking out the ice maker to really see what the problem is. To remove mine I unplugged the frig, carefully removed the little door over the ice maker, unscrewed the 4 hex screws on the bottom of the ice maker, pushed in the little tab on the bottom left of the maker, slid the maker out, and unplugged it. (09/01/2008)

By Jeff

RE: Ice Maker Not Working

Yea! I went here and fixed mine. But I would like to save someone else the trouble I went through. I removed all of the components only to find out if I gently turned the fitting that the water line connects to in the back counter clock-wise it pulls out. And that where the frozen clog was! I am sure all models are not the same so do not try to force your fitting. I have a 2002-2004 Fridgidare side by side with water and ice in the door. The water supply line in the back is green and goes towards the top on the back side. Good Luck. (12/17/2008)

By Corey from FL

RE: Ice Maker Not Working

Check modual gear before calling in expert. (03/27/2009)

By miwok10

Archive: Ice Maker Not Working

I have a Kenmore refrigerator. The ice maker has stopped making ice. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot the problem?

By Mking from Seattle

Feedback:

RE: Ice Maker Not Working

Mine always stops making ice when there is a little ice cube that is stuck in the little ice maker. I have to pour warm water on it to get it loose. Hope this helps. Racer (04/14/2009)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Ice Maker Not Working

Go to Appliancepartspros.com and then to the repair forum. (04/19/2009)

By carolb4

Archive: Ice Maker Not Working

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator, model 106.55243400. The ice maker has quit working. Any suggestions before I call a repair man? It is about 3 years old and I have checked the water and it is fine. What about the filter? Thanks.

By clegferry from Greenville, GA

Feedback:

RE: Ice Maker Not Working

We had the same problem after 13 months, it was the computer chip in the Ice Maker sensor. The repairman said "these parts are the first to go", and they already replaced the part with a new one at the factories. Raise a stink about it, maybe you can get it replaced at no cost to you. (06/04/2009)

By tarlo

RE: Ice Maker Not Working

I would first check the end of the tubing that comes into the ice maker. I had a problem once and when I checked the tubing there was a chunk of ice blocking the end of the tube. Wrapped it with warm washrags until it started to melt and then pulled chunk out. Have not had a problem since. (06/05/2009)

By lkoenig

RE: Ice Maker Not Working

After turning off the water at the main valve under the sink, our ice maker stopped working too. I poured water with a small cup every couple of hours to fill the ice tray in the ice maker. It would make the ice, but the water was not filling. I came across this website and used several suggestions. I began by unplugging the refrigerator. I took out the ice box and even unscrewed the actual ice maker away from the inside of the freezer and disconnected it. From the back of the fridge I unscrewed the plastic tube to make sure there was water inside the tube and that it wasn't frozen. I took warm water and flushed it through the hole with a straw from the back of the fridge.

Make sure to put an empty cup inside the freezer at the bottom of the "slide" to catch the water being flushed through. I did see tiny pieces of ice slide down, but nothing significant. I put it all back, which was difficult to do since it was a tight squeeze in the freezer. Anyhow, I was disappointed that after I reconnected it, it didn't immediately fill the empty ice tray with water! Thinking it was a loss and a waste of time, I left it alone and continued my day. The next morning the ice box had generously made ice for my family all night long. The ice maker is back in business! Next time, I'll just use the blow dryer. Thanks for the great tips! (07/28/2009)

By Mommy Fix It

Archive: Ice Maker Not Working

Our Amana side-by-side ice maker over flow bar is stuck in the up position and cannot be pushed down. Any ideas? Model No. SBI20S2W

By bfmstrc from Lowell, MI

Feedback:

RE: Ice Maker Not Working

Try blowing a hair dryer on the water line. We have to do this about three to four times a year. The line freezes up and the bar gets stuck. Try it, it will work. As soon as the line thaws out the bar will go down and the ice cubes will fall. (09/04/2009)

By Debbyann

Archive: Ice Maker Not Working

My Whirlpool side by side stopped making ice yesterday. It still dispenses water. Where should I look?

Thanks.
Rich

By Rich from Hamden, CT

Feedback:

RE: Ice Maker Not Working

We just had the same problem and it was the ice maker motor. The repair man said that it typically breaks and he replaced the part with a more appropriate longer lasting part.
(11/21/2009)

By rustycrystal

Archive: Ice Maker Not Working

My Kenmore side by side Model 106 ice maker does not make ice. Water does not come from the line into the ice maker, but does come from the line into the water dispenser on the door. What is the problem and how do I fix it?

By Ralph from Jackson, MS

Feedback:

RE: Ice Maker Not Working

Don't waste time on other searches and wondering what the problem is, go to this website which tells you exactly how to pinpoint the problem: appliance-repair-it.com.

The ice maker on my Whirlpool side-by-side stopped working. Whirlpool wouldn't stand behind it. So, I was guessing what part to replace until I found this website and diagnosed the problem in 5 minutes using a simple piece of insulated wire. Whirlpool designed the ice maker to be easily diagnosed in just this manner. Save yourself some time, money, and grief and check it out. (01/15/2010)

By Baloney10

Archive: Ice Maker Not Working

My Kenmore side by side refrigerator ice maker isn't making ice, but I have water. I turned the ice maker off for a couple of days and when I turned it back on it didn't make ice.

By Sandy from Payette, ID

Archive: Ice Maker Not Working

My Kenmore side by side, model 106 ice maker does not make ice. I replaced the intake valve unit a few years ago and it fixed the problem. A couple days ago I replaced the intake valve assembly (part number has changed from 2205762, now substitution No: 4389177), but it still isn't working.

Water does not come from the line into the ice maker, but does come from the line into the water dispenser on the door. The ice maker is making a slow grinding sound, like an old clock. Any suggestions on what to try or check out before calling a repairman?

By Larry from NW OH

Archive: Ice Maker Not Working

Last night we noticed the ice maker on our side by side fridge was not working. My husband noticed the tube in the back of the ice maker was frozen, so he cleared it and put it back together. This morning there was still no ice and there was no water in the dispenser. It seems like there is no water going through on the ice maker side. Water is still coming out on the water side. What could be the problem and how do we repair? Thank you!

By Robin from Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Ice MachinesJanuary 17, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Ice Maker Manual
Kenmore Ice Maker Not Working
Refrigerator
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Not Making Ice
Whirlpool Ice Maker
Whirlpool Ice Maker Not Working
Ice Maker
Ice Maker Not Dispensing Ice
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 7:58:56 AM on 10.0.0.103 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings