Using A Hambone

I buy the leftover bone from Heavenly or Honeybaked Ham, defrost it and then remove as much fat as possible. There's usually about a pound of ham left on the bone! - and I grind it with cheddar cheese and pineapple slices to make a great sandwich spread.

I pressure-cook the bone with the juice from 1/2 a lemon (or 2 tablespoons of vinegar) to get the cartilage dissolved. This makes thick broth for a bean soup base or for cooking greens, and once cooled, the fat can be removed from the top. The boiled bone finally makes it into the compost pile to release its calcium back to the earth.

Boiled Dinner from a ham bone and bits of leftover ham. Boil bone with potatoes, cabbage, carrots, rutabaga and of course whole onions (make sure you use lots of onions - my family fights over them and the carrots). Cook this all together. When the smell is too enticing to stand and you have neighbors knocking at your door to ask if they can eat with you Dinner is done.

A bone-in ham on a platter.
Recipes Using a Ham Bone
Food and Recipes Recipes Meats HamJanuary 11, 2008
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Pressure Cooker on White Background
Using A Pressure Cooker
PayPal logo
Using PayPal